Is this something to worry about or is it normal ?

Ton

Today I gave my WSM a minor cleanup with a stiff brush and some soapy water.
After that I rinsed with clean water and dried all the parts.
However now I see that the inside of the lid en the middel cooking section is covered with a lot of loose glittering dust/soot. I already tried to brush it off with a dry brush but that is a hopeless task, because it keeps coming off.
Now I wonder:
1) Because the dust/soot is glittering, has it something to do with the porcelain finish ?
2) Do I have to worry because it could fall on the food when cooking ?

Mine looks like that too.
If it bothers you try a brass bristled grill brush, or a crumpled up ball of aluminum foil.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ton:
Today I gave my WSM a minor cleanup with a stiff brush and some soapy water.
After that I rinsed with clean water and dried all the parts.
However now I see that the inside of the lid en the middel cooking section is covered with a lot of loose glittering dust/soot. I already tried to brush it off with a dry brush but that is a hopeless task, because it keeps coming off.
Now I wonder:
1) Because the dust/soot is glittering, has it something to do with the porcelain finish ?
2) Do I have to worry because it could fall on the food when cooking ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just knock off the bits that look like they are going to fall and dont worry about it. its normal for all smokers whether it is a wsm or giant brick oven.

Back