Throwdown #25: Baked Beans

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
It's time to start another throwdown, our first in 2015. Cliff and I discussed ingredients and settled on:

Baked Beans!

They can be doctored from the can or made from scratch. They can include a little meat or a lot. But they've got to be cooked using the heat of a grill or smoker.

Let's run this throwdown until Sunday, February 22 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.

The winner will receive a $15 Amazon Gift Card!

Good luck everybody!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

I make some good beans, but nothing like what a lot of people here do - I may get in on this one. Good choice Cliff!

I wonder how may TVWBBers are gonna make Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans, AKA, BBITU (best baked beans in the universe!)? :wsm:

This is the throw down I've been waiting for!!! Not only do I love eating baked beans, but I love making them. Now I'll be able to see some real experts doing them in a throw down!! This is going to be great.

This is the throw down I've been waiting for!!! Not only do I love eating baked beans, but I love making them. Now I'll be able to see some real experts doing them in a throw down!! This is going to be great.
Now I'M Excited! :D

But they've got to be cooked using the heat of a grill or smoker.

Just to clarify so we can avoid a DQ, if using dried beans can we start the initial cooking process ( quick soak, simmer ) on the stove, and than add all the other goody's and finish them on the grill or smoker ?

Tim

Just to clarify so we can avoid a DQ, if using dried beans can we start the initial cooking process ( quick soak, simmer ) on the stove, and than add all the other goody's and finish them on the grill or smoker ?
Yes, that sounds OK if starting with dried beans. No matter what, all entries must finish on a grill or smoker.

With all the great cooks we have on the forum, this is going to be fun for sure.

I wonder how may TVWBBers are gonna make Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans, AKA, BBITU (best baked beans in the universe!)? :wsm:
This made me go to the recipe section to check out the recipe, and I got caught up in reading the thread, and now I have to make these. People have been raving about them for nearly 10 years - I can't ignore that kind of recommendation. Besides, I have a cast iron Dutch oven that has not seen the inside of my WSM yet. ;)

Well, I had my dad over to help me do a few things, and well he likes my cooking and he loves bbq.... So I thought I throw a few racks on the smoker and what goes better with racks? Yep.... Beans....

I started to Dr them up and added some meat to it..

Ready for the Smoker to get Happy.....

Happy Beans

Happy Closeup..

Plated...

Thanks for lookin...

I've been a TVWBB lurker for many years and finally decided to get more involved. So here is my first throwdown. Cheers!

Frijoles Charros or Mexican Baked Beans
CSC_0074-L.jpg

Food Prep
CSC_0079-L.jpg

Cooking the Chorizo, Smoked Pork Chop and Bacon
CSC_0084-L.jpg

Added the onions and garlic
CSC_0083-L.jpg

Added the serano chilli pepper and tomato
CSC_0082-L.jpg

Added the beans (white or bayo)
CSC_0081-L.jpg

One happy family
CSC_0080-L.jpg

Plated
CSC_0077-L.jpg

Star of the show
CSC_0075-L.jpg

Last edited:
Star of the show
CSC_0075-L.jpg

Definitely the star of the show!! I would love to dig in to that dish right now!

Very nice, Jose!

Back