First WSM Smoke - Ribs & Brisket

Frank A

Hi all, I had a cheap Brinkman smoker and smoked 4 or 5 briskets over the past year or so. Just got and assembled my WSM (18) and am planning on having a few people over this weekend to eat some BBQ.

I'm pretty much set on the Brisket, but I've not done Ribs before. A few questions:

Any general tips for Smoking ribs? I was thinking of doing regular pork ribs not baby back. Would you recommend putting the ribs on the top or bottom? Any tips on smoking the ribs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello Frank,

Now just a disclaimer I just bought and had my first rib smoke last weekend but it was very good and I will like to share with you what i did.If you dont have any rib racks like I did I just used bamboo skewers and made a doughnut shape out of my ribs and used those skewers to hold them in that shape.Also I did the 3-2-1 method with my ribs.What the 3-2-1 method is 3 hours on the smoker 2 hours foiled and 1 hour out of the foil.But this is just basically a formula to use.Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in and explain that better than I can.I had a bbq guru with me and he helped me thru that.

Which do you prefer to eat? I prefer to eat spare ribs so I cook spare ribs. I cut them St. Louis style because my wife finds them much easier to eat that way.

Personally I just rub them down with Plowboys Yardbird, cook them at 225-250 with some apple chunks until they're done, and then eat them. Simple, easy, and yummy. Takes 4-6 hours, and a little discipline to not pull them off early if they're not totally done yet. If you go to the top level of the website there are articles that talk about how to test to see if they're done (and how to trim them St. Louis style if you want to try that).

The top rack's easiest because they're just right there, and there's no downside.

Hi Frank, I just cooked my first ribs. I followed the beginners for baby back. I used the minon method. For smoke I used some mulberry and a piece of oak. Just placed the ribs on the top with meat side up. Cooked in the 225 range for about 6 hours.

Glenn is exactly right.

Weber should just make this cook the last step in the assembly instructions. It really is that bulletproof (no pun intended).

Russ

Back