ribs on kettle

indirect. two slabs will be ok. if more then you need a rack. use fire bricks and a rail to hold coals on one side. foil the charcoal grate up to the coals. i do not use water. vent under the fire and lid vent over the ribs.

I had a kettle for 5 years before the wsm. I found the best method was to start the coals and push them into equal parts on opposite sides of the kettle. There should be a big space in the middle with no coals. Cook the ribs in that space the same way you;d cook them in a wsm. You'll need to throw additional coals into the sides every 45 minutes or so to maintain temp.

another way to go is to use the rendezvous rib recipe, which calls for direct heat:

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/drybbqrub.shtml

Toss some unlit coals on one side of the kettle, about half a dozen lit on top with some wood chunks. Put the ribs on the opposite side with the top vent open (above the ribs), measure the temp here. Aim for your regular rib temp, probably about 250. You'll probably have the bottome vents compltely closed up. If you're still haveing trouble keeping the temps down put a pot of cool water above the coals.

Clark

Looks like we have all posted at about the same time and with a little different methods! I'd imagine any of them would work fine so take your pick!

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
indirect. two slabs will be ok. if more then you need a rack. use fire bricks and a rail to hold coals on one side. foil the charcoal grate up to the coals. i do not use water. vent under the fire and lid vent over the ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why the foil on the grate?

Consider this way. Not saying it is the only way, but yields fantastic spares, although I've only done one slab per cook. Put a chimney full of unlit on one side and top with ~6 lit. Put a whole untrimmed slab bone side down flat opposite the coals over a piece of foil on the charcoal grate to catch grease. Cook at 350-375, 3 hours. During the last 10 minutes, put the slab over the coals turning a few times. Yields juicy ribs with a nice crust

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Millsy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
indirect. two slabs will be ok. if more then you need a rack. use fire bricks and a rail to hold coals on one side. foil the charcoal grate up to the coals. i do not use water. vent under the fire and lid vent over the ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why the foil on the grate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably to deflect all direct heat. Similar to the function that an empty water pan would serve in a WSM but is even more important when the coals are only a few inches from the meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Consider this way. Not saying it is the only way, but yields fantastic spares, although I've only done one slab per cook. Put a chimney full of unlit on one side and top with ~6 lit. Put a whole untrimmed slab bone side down flat opposite the coals over a piece of foil on the charcoal grate to catch grease. Cook at 350-375, 3 hours. During the last 10 minutes, put the slab over the coals turning a few times. Yields juicy ribs with a nice crust </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dave, you been spying on me a few years ago?!
icon_biggrin.gif

Very much like how I used to do my ribs on the grill. It works very well this way.
Don't anymore now with the WSM here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie Berry:
awesome tips! thanks. pics to come... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...and samples too I hope
icon_biggrin.gif

(i'm always hungry!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Dave, you been spying on me a few years ago?!
icon_biggrin.gif

Very much like how I used to do my ribs on the grill. It works very well this way.
Don't anymore now with the WSM here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stole this way from a cook Larry Wolfe did about a year or so ago. Sorry, I should have credited him with suggesting this way. I too use the WSM, but when I need just one slab I use the kettle. Who did you steal from?
icon_biggrin.gif
j/k

this directs the air towards the coals. thus only heated air goes towards the meat rather than a mixture of hot and cold..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Millsy:
Why the foil on the grate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G: Who did you steal from?
icon_biggrin.gif
j/k </div></BLOCKQUOTE> My daddy.
icon_biggrin.gif

as promised:

four butts:
IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

pulled:
IMG_1511.JPG

Ribs on kettle - thanks for the tips!
IMG_1507.JPG

This was my first brisket and I have ALOT of room for improvement.
IMG_1541.JPG

ready for freezer and friends:
IMG_1545.JPG

I love this sport!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:
What didn't you like about the brisket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, no kidding. It looks fantastic!!

"This was my first brisket and I have ALOT of room for improvement."
WHERE??!!
Jamie, looks GREAT!

Thanks for the compliments. The brisket was a bit tough and had zero bark. Probably because i finished in the oven. It was a long day -started at 10 a.m and finished around 3 am. I had both the bullet and the kettle going all day.

the ribs were done "dry" which was a first for me but definately not the last time.

I wanted to make the first smoke of the year a big one.

Back