Is It Only Me...

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Or does Smoked food seem to taste better the next day. I find that after smoking food and breathing in the smoke all day, the food is not as tasty to me until the next day. It's as if breathing in the smoke ruins my smeller and taster. Wondering if any of you have noticed this happening to you. Thanks!

Chuck

Yep Chuck I feel the same way. Our senses get jaded hanging around the smoker, taking a quick shower or splashing cold water on my face seems to help.

Tim

Not only you.
I always attributed it to the fact I'd been planning and prepping and cooking for so long I wasn't interested in it when it was done. I'll have to look into the smoke angle.
Always wondered if I was the only one who felt that way.
Thanks.

ribs, maybe, but to me there's nothing better than tearing a small piece off the butt for quality control.

Like a wine, I think the smokey flavors mellow and blend with the food over time. A much shorter time with smoked food, but similar concept. From what I've read, smoked cheese, some bacon and others will benefit from being sealed and refrigerated for a few days or longer before serving. And like others have said, getting away from the smoke probably helps you sense and appreciate it a bit more. I know I'm a big fan of leftover ribs - much more so than the day they are cooked.

I am glad I am not the only one. I am with you though Clint. I do like taste testing pieces of pork while shredding.

Clint has it right!!
But consider that things like home made chili and other foods are also much better the next day. I think it has something to do with the flavors maturing over time.

I cold smoke cheese a lot especially around the holidays. I vacuum seal and refrigerate for 30 days which allows the Smokey Goodness to penetrate the 4"x4" blocks. I believe like any spice, the more time you allow smoke to penetrate the product the better the smoke flavor. Just my 2cents. Good luck and good smoking.

Bill

Right there with you. Before my WSM I thought it was from over smoking on my log smoker. After I aquired my WSM and smoked on it I realized that I still prefer smoked meat the day after. Think I'm with Jim on this one. Well except the wine part :)

Same here. Hanging 'round the Q for hours kinda dulls my senses a bit.
Next day smokey treats are the best.

Back