Time Sticks on sale

Curious about what a timer is best used for, I've never seen a need, but maybe I'm missing out on something.

`I love mine and use it every day. I like the fact that you can put it in your pocket and go outside for example, and when something needs to come out of the oven no matter where I am I know it's time.

Curious about what a timer is best used for, I've never seen a need, but maybe I'm missing out on something.

I'm curious also, have a timer on the indoor appliances for when I follow a timed recipe, but outdoor smoking/grilling has some variables.
Robert can you expand on the why's you find it indispensable?
Just asking, because we all learn from each other.

Tim

To all;
Somehow, I missed this question the first time around. It is an old thread but I will answer it anyway.

We all have different styles of cooking/grilling. I am a bit of an impatient type. I use the timer (hang it around my neck) so I know "where I am at". When I grill pork steaks direct, I flip them every minute by the clock. I get better, more moist, and more tender results by flipping every minute.

Sometimes, I have more than one grill going at a time. I "need" to know how far along I am with a particular cook - the timer helps me in this regard. I have one of the original time sticks and also one of the "three in one" timers from Thermapen. When I am doing multiple cooks, it helps me retain my sanity:eek:.

If your "style" calls for a timer I have found it VERY helpful to have one hanging around my neck. I mostly use the "count up"
(or elapsed time) timer for my cooks.

When I use my Performer gas ignition to light the chimney, I use the time to limit the time the gas is on to 3.0 minutes. Then, I leave the chimney sit a total of 20 minutes before I dump it. I reset the timer for my cook... I find it most helpful instead of using my watch (I don't "lose my place").

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back