Sticker shock

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I was at Meijers today combing the meat cases looking for deals. I did a double take when I came across some Beef Tenderloins " Boneless Beef Filet Mignon.. No additives "
Price was $137.94 Thats $24.99/lb for a 5.52/lb roast.:rolleyes:
Plus side was CAB Prime Rib was only 5.99/lb
Tim

They're ALL more than my car payment! :cool:

But then again, my Taco is going on 11 years old, so it had better be paid off....

Beef Tenderloin is through the roof these days. I want to do a couple for Christmas but at $13.99 a pound (on sale!) I am going with just one and something else.....

I have seen many ribeye roasts for $100+ this year. My in-laws found a beef tenderloin for $5.99 on their local military base. father in law is a retired marine but still working at a naval base as a civilian.

Sort of makes me say to myself, I think I'd rather make some spare ribs instead. Actually they put a smile on my face.
Can't say that about filet mignon.

It is definitely expensive, but sadly not much more than a lot of other cuts these days. Seems any part of the cow you want will cost ya. Flank is 11.99 regularly, ribeye, 15.99, etc. Tenderloins are on sale for 11.99 (normally 18.99). I buy the tenderloin and cut it into steaks. Last week, I bought a rib roast at 7.99 and cut it into steaks. Heck, Tri Tip is 11.99 at my Wegmans. I've stopped buying it. Needless to say, we've been eating a lot of chicken this year.

+1 on the chicken. What is driving the HUGE price increases? Here in Los Angeles I have heard it blamed on the drought out here but what is the excuse on the eaast coast? Just wondering. The most expensive thing we have anymore is pot roast and even chicken is getting more expensive. I am wondering is it would make sense to get a freezer for the garage and buy larger quantities of beef? Even the heavy whipping cream I use to make homemade ice cream has gone up a lot.

I snagged a whole, untrimmed tenderloin for $7.99/lb over the weekend at my local Piggly Wiggly.

However, my wife said I couldn't buy the $180 rib roast.

Don't know how people do it, Barb and I bought a small stand up freezer from Sears with that and the fridge freezer outside we have been able to stock up on sale items and dog food (reduced meat at the local Frys they put out every day at 9am) at 50% or less. Both are full but if it wasn't for that it would be beans and donut holes.:p

Our local Albertson's (southern calif) has an add for a choice rib eye roast for $6.99 a pound. I am going to pick one up. The had the same thing for Christmas last year and the family loved it. May buy two since my wife loves rib eye and given the prices at Costco, we haven't had them in a while. Going to get a freezer for the garage next year when business is better.

I have two side by side fridges and a standup freezer in the garage. We hit the sales hard and stock up.:)

Tim

Back