Solid flavor injector?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
When I do a brisket, I like to embed whole garlic cloves. I'll peel maybe 18-20 cloves, toss them in olive oil and a bit of whatever rub I'm using, then cut a corresponding number of slits into the brisket (usually in the flat) and jam those suckers in there. This is great for getting some good flavor and moisture into the meat, but it takes a lot of time. I've been pondering how to make a device that would allow me to easily inject them, then I discovered that it already exists: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001AV7UP6/tvwb-20. Somehow I missed that on all the late-night and early-morning TV that I watch. Anyway, the review on Amazon are generally positive, but the negative ones cite the build quality, which is something I take seriously. Has anyone here used this or another similar injector (despite their claims that this is the only one available, I tend to doubt that)?

That is pretty sweet, I also cut slits to shove smashed garlic cloves into briskets and pork shoulders, I might have to try this out. Funny, I swear I kinda vaguely remember seeing the infomercials for these back in the day LOL. Never thought I'd ever consider getting one til now!

Wow. I've stuck quartered garlic cloves in prime rib since, well since always. I guess what some do without thinking is new to someone else.

Maybe start a new thread........

For $10, I guess I'll give it a try. Amazon says I won't get it until after Christmas, but no biggie. Probably won't use it until January anyway. I'll report back after I've used the thing.

I got this the last day of work before Christmas, so I was able to try it out on our New Year's Day pork loin. The plastic tip was sharp enough to easily get deep into each end of the loin and deliver its garlicky payload, but I'm not sure how it'll work on a tighter-grained meat (like a brisket flat). I also made a wet rub for the outside of the loin with some celery salt, onion & garlic powders, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard. Smells awesome, but I won't know how it tastes until tomorrow. Planning to sear it up really well in my CI dutch oven, then cook it in sauerkraut on the WSM with some hickory wood. But, all that's for another post in another forum...

PS: what I actually ordered was this, which is the solids injector and a liquid injector. The injector I have has been effective, but kind of messy (a lot of liquid slips past the plunger). The Ronco until is much more syringe-like with a tighter-fitting rubber plunger, so hopefully it will let me inject my meats rather than spray the liquid back up my arm or in my face.

Last edited:
I just a fillet/boning knife to cut small slits in a roast, than use my steel to enlarge it. Something I learned awhile ago on watching cooking shows on PBS, and one less thing to clutter the junk drawer.

Tim

care to post results? I injected a veggie/herb paste into a roast yesterday and I'm wondering how this worked for you for comparison...

For this small-scale job, the injector worked well. The details of my New Years cook are here and the recipe is here. I did find, however, that 2 hours isn't enough time for raw garlic to cook inside a pork loin. Also, biting into nearly raw garlic isn't a pleasant experience. At any rate, I'm looking forward to trying this bad boy out on a brisket. "Manually" injecting with the paring knife took a good 30-40 minutes, so if I can cut that in half (or better), I'll be happy.

I remember seeing the title to your post & thought I'd already seen it but nope! I did see that platter in another thread though :) .... might be worth roasting the garlic first I guess..... I think I'll try SPOG+ whatever else sounds good in my next paste.

I remember seeing the title to your post & thought I'd already seen it but nope! I did see that platter in another thread though :) .... might be worth roasting the garlic first I guess..... I think I'll try SPOG+ whatever else sounds good in my next paste.

Roasting or sauteing the garlic first would have helped, but I also don't think the garlic really lent anything worthwhile to the pork. If it actually had imparted any flavor, it would have overpowered the dish. What I'm considering for next year (aside from leaving out the smoke wood) is injecting a bit of the sauerkraut into the loin :D

So, I finally had a chance to try this on a brisket (the main reason I bought it). Since brisket's quite a bit tougher than pork loin, I had a harder time getting the injector in and resorted to cutting a starter hole with a paring knife in a few spots. However, it did speed up the injection process, so I'm satisfied.

Back