Blue Cheese Dressing & Dip

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I've tried making ranch a few times, Italian, I've only done well once, & blue cheese?? I've tried only once with bad results.

I found a >1.5# wedge of Stella Blue cheese yesterday for half price of what I paid a day or two earlier for crumbles ($8 vs 16 or more).

I made a few blue bacon burgers & loved that, and was snacking on this (getting more used to the strong flavor & enjoying it). So anyway, I was watching videos on how blue cheese is made, and then I found a dressing recipe that looked good.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5lUWuAB1uw

Recipe:
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/03/creamy-blue-cheese-dressing-chicken.html

My Results:
10314629_10203315593912514_4706868032954404527_n.jpg

10313475_10203315620073168_1628143234127686225_n.jpg

So Far, So Good. I think the Buttermilk really added to it - just the mayo / sour cream / buttermilk really made a good base to work with.

Last edited:
I think you'll like it - the only thing I did different was I used granulated garlic instead of fresh, and I added some granulated onion.... I'll leave out the onion next time.

I went back an hour later & it was even better, and I went back this morning & still better :)

the first jar lasted 3 days and got better & better as time passed........ I hope to make a double batch tonight.

Just made another batch....probably a dozen so far. This time I didn't bother freezing the cheese, I used Gorgonzola crumbles from costco. I didn't measure or weigh the cheese, but I used a lot! I mashed it up in the mix with a potato masher but that didn't break the chunks down enough so I took a small amount of buttermilk (about 2 oz) and made a buttermilk/gorgonzola slurry & added it to the dressing/dip.

I made another batch of this at a cousin's house I stopped in at while passing through... He was trying to give me a wedge of blue cheese & a wedge of brie and a slice of cheesecake and a and a...

so I took 3/4 cup sour cream, a quarter (or a third) of mayo, a healthy portion of blue cheese I broke up by hand,,,, garlic pepper, a touch of brown mustard, dash soy s, tabasco, garlic/herb mix,, and a little salt.

Can't seem to mess this up. (no buttermilk again)

edit:>>>I made another makeshift version while visiting family out of town about a month ago. It turned out great there too.

I'm about to make a batch for myself with the cheese I was sent home with.

Last edited:
I use Hidden Valley Ranch mix with milk and mayo per directions to make a pint. It takes a few hours to thicken in the fridge, so I leave it overnight and then add ~1/2 cup of crumbled blue cheese. Easy peasy and good too. For a little tartness, add a tablespoon or 2 of buttermilk powder or sub in buttermilk for the regular milk. For use on burgers I use just enough of the dressing/dip to hold the bleu cheese together. Hate it when half the cheese ends up in the coals.

Back