Olympus XZ-2 camera deal today on Amazon $179

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
This Oly camera is about the same as my Pentax MX-1, at least same sensor, and apparently the same lens.
I love my MX-1, and would buy this if I didn't have it.
Most of my photos here, in recent months, are with the MX-1.

List price is $600, and it's been selling for $300 lately, today only at $179.
Some reviewers said it has a problem with low light, but a firmware update fixed it another reviewer said.
(no problem on my Pentax model)

It's a small camera, without a viewfinder, so check it out before buying.
Would make a nice Christmas gift. :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009AYJQ2U/tvwb-20

ps, note the fast f1.8 to f2.5 lens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think hard about this one. Its solid but heavier than others in its class. A 4x optical zoom--may as well have no zoom.

And the deal killer for me is the li-on battery can only be charged
in the camera. No replacement battery can be inserted in its place. And for the 3 hr it takes to recharge on a wall wart, the camera is out of service.

Sometimes a low price is not the best choice.

Or so I read.

Yes my MX-1 is heavy, brass body on it, love the heft myself, and it has a removable battery w/charger.
Didn't notice that this one does not.

Works well for my P&S needs.
IMGP0023.JPG

Crop of above:
IMGP0023-001.JPG

Here's the zoom range.
Wide:
IMGP0010.JPG

Tele:
IMGP0011.JPG

Digital tele:
IMGP0012.JPG

And your camera does well Bob. Just making folks aware of (in my mind) the other unit's deficiencies.

Oh I understand that Len.
Input is always good.
With in-camera battery charge only, I would give it second thoughts too.
and yes, I'm a Pentax fanboy ;)

edit to add, there are replacement/spare batteries and external chargers for the XZ-2.

Last edited:
Oh I understand that Len.

edit to add, there are replacement/spare batteries and external chargers for the XZ-2.
Sure? I only find that the charger is "built-in" and no mention on any site about being able to replace the battery. They may say on an external (non-camera) site that the battery is designed for the XZ but whether in fact it CAN be changed out is up for debate.

In any case, as it doesn't appear to be designed as replaceable, a screw driver may be required. Nasty. Much easier to use either rechargeable AA or like higher end units a battery pack designed as a PNP in a unit that is designed for battery replacement.

I find though using rechargeables that the voltage is slightly less than alkaline and therefore I get only about 25% life before the unit shuts down (even though there is still 75% left in the battery). Sucks but I adjust (have 3 sets of 4 for this).

Bumps the price another $20 to buy another charger (plus 2 batt) as it looks like a proprietary battery. They do that to lower the (perceived) price. Thanks for the links.

As long as everyone has the facts, then they can make their own informed decision.

Last edited:
Guess just a spare battery could be purchased, charged in camera, then taken out.
I should get a spare for mine, but it takes a lot of snaps and charges fast.

Thanks for posting this Bob. I'm in the market for a sub $200 camera. Not sure if this is the one but good to know about.

Thanks for posting this Bob. I'm in the market for a sub $200 camera. Not sure if this is the one but good to know about.

It looks good to me. I think I saw an external charger & 2 battery kit for that one. It's tempting for me, but I'm looking for some sort of enthusiast camera with manual controls and I'm not sure this one would do it.... (manual basics)

>>>love the Macros & other pics you put up Bob

It looks good to me. I think I saw an external charger & 2 battery kit for that one. It's tempting for me, but I'm looking for some sort of enthusiast camera with manual controls and I'm not sure this one would do it.... (manual basics)

>>>love the Macros & other pics you put up Bob
Thanks Clint for the compliment!
Don't want to beat a dead horse here, but here goes...
This camera has full manual controls, and can shoot raw files, if one so desires.
After the $179 deal it went back up to $499, but looks like it's $199 now.
I have no dog in this hunt, just wanted to post what I thought was a bargain, and know everyone needs to decide for themselves.

Back