How to maintain a paella pan?

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
My paella pan gets rust on it after I use it and wash it. I don't want to cook on a rusty pan. What do you guys do? Thanks

Thanks Trevor, I will use the steel wool before my next cook and oil it when done. Good advice.

careful with oil. it drys into a sticky film that is next to impossible to remove. also oils can go rancid. I would think oil would be fine as long as you use the pan fairly frequently (every couple of months).

I use a food grade lubricant on my metal grinder parts that was recommended because it does not have the same problems oils does.

Thanks JB, I was thinking of a light coating of olive oil and then washing before each use. What do you use?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks JB, I was thinking of a light coating of olive oil and then washing before each use. What do you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

check the cast iron threads, I'm not sure if oo is the best option. I know its not the greatest for seasoning which requires the oil carbonize, but for some reason I think there are better options for leaving a film.

I use food grade lubriplate on my grinder and sausage stuffer parts, but the only reason I have it, is that the shopkeeper that sold me the grinder threw it in tomake the deal.

I use canola or vegetable oil on all my cast iron, wipe it on, then heat it. It forms a hard black non-stick surface. There is lots of debate regarding this chemical process, but I just know it works great once you build it up.

For paella pans you wouldn't be seasoning it the same way. I would just take some veg/canola on a paper towel, and wipe a very thin layer on the whole pan. This is like putting a thin layer of oil on tools, it's just something to prevent air and moisture from causing oxidation (rust). When you are ready to use the pan next, just give it a quick wipe and you are good to go.

I've done the same thing with some really old metal pans I got from my grandmother, and it works fine even if you don't use them for a few years.

Wish I could find one without the handles, they take up too much of the cooking space on the kettle IMHO. I'd rather deal with no handles and be able to use a bigger pan. Just doesn't seem right to hack them off
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Wish I could find one without the handles, they take up too much of the cooking space on the kettle IMHO. I'd rather deal with no handles and be able to use a bigger pan. Just doesn't seem right to hack them off
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>What size is the pan do you have? If you need a bigger pan I would hack the handles off. I have found that even a smaller pan makes a lot of paella, and I usually have plenty of leftovers. A bigger pan would look cool though.
icon_wink.gif

Shaun, I'm curious what size of pan you are using?

I've got a 22.5 OTG that I'm looking at picking up a paella pan for, and would like it to fit snug without snuffing the fire.

I have two, a 17 and a 13 1/2. I originally bought the 17 and it's really big. My wife an I can't eat that much even as leftovers. So I bought the 13 1/2 and it's perfect. With paella pans it seems like you don't want to use a giant pan and cook a little bit, it just seems kinda weird. If I need to cook a large one I have the 17. I bought them at Sur La Table on sale at half off. They always have sales on paella pans there. It will work well as a wok and I have made deep dish pizza in the 13. The 17 inch pan fits well in the 22.5 with the handles and it is really big. It fits a lotta rice.
icon_biggrin.gif

I am looking at paella pans right now. This thread has been helpful.

Is there any reason to stay away from stainless if the intention is to use it on the kettle? Just checking before we pull the trigger.

I use a paella pan with no handles and you just need to handle it carefully when moving it around. Cooks the same of course! Allows me to fit a big pan in my Komodo Kamado. Cut off the handles or drill out the rivets.

fry bacon in it, or get bacon drippings nad smear a very very thin layer, and let it sit over a low flame for an hour or so to burn in

also you shouldnt use a steel wool, steel will rust, and when you scrub you leave bits of steel

i use those 2 dollar bamboo wok brushes from the chinese supermarket, and when the cast iron is still crazy hot, throw some water on it, and scrub lightly, everything usually comes off easily

Originally I had hoped to use my kettle with the 26" pan but I found that the pan doesn't nest into the kettle at all but rather it sits atop the rim and seems a little precarious. I'd hate to lose the pan during the cook when it's full of food. I think I'll take another look and post a pic of how it sits there.

yep, here's how the 26" pan sits on the kettle.
I'd hate to see it go for a flip off there.
100_0600.jpg

How about just laying a couple pieces of flat bar across the kettle and setting the pan on that?

Ya, there are likely several good ideas like that one of yours, Shaun. Even an oversized grate that was somehow clipped in place would do the trick. I tried to get something together but just ended up buying the LPG burner anyways. It works awesome.

Nice pan Flaco! Like you I also have two sizes. I even made a deep dish pizza in the small one once. Here's another idea. Lay two or three bricks in the grate and set the pan on that.

Back