What is your next cooker?

Todd Phillips

TVWBB Pro
I'm a kitchen designer that has a retail show room. I put together indoor and outdoor kitchens for every life style. In the last few years I've noticed a shift in my customers. MAN is taking over the kitchen and I've been doing alot more outdoor kitchens as well. I carry just about every outdoor cooking line out their. From $29.00 joes to 20k Kalamazoo. Everyone pretty much starts out with the weber in life and picks up the sickness from there.

I need to a little bit of "market research" I believe most of this site falls between 25-50yrs of age. That's pretty much my customer. So my question to you is, What's your next step? Say your building a new home and doing an outdoor living space. What's on your bucket list to be in that outdoor kitchen. Maybe you are down sizing and don't want to deal with 4-5 different cookers. Maybe you just got a hell of a bonus at work and you want the next level. You have a huge family so you want a trailer mounted stick burner? Maybe a gravity feed so you don't half to babysit? Done with charcoal so you want a 48inch built in gas fired.

If it's not too much trouble, I would like to hear what your plan is for the future. Make and model and why you decided to go that route. I will probably probe some more questions out of you once you have answered.

My next addition is a true built in wood fired brick oven. My wife can do some serious work on a pizza stone. My old green egg became her dedicated bread cooker, but she wants more room and wants to be able to have different temp zones.

Thanks Todd

If it's not too much trouble, I would like to hear what your plan is for the future. Make and model and why you decided to go that route. I will probably probe some more questions out of you once you have answered. My next addition is a true built in wood fired brick oven. My wife can do some serious work on a pizza stone. My old green egg became her dedicated bread cooker, but she wants more room and wants to be able to have different temp zones. Thanks Todd

The immediate future (Christmas 2014)

L410-New.jpg

Christmas 2020

53fd0a99bcee9_genesis-s330.jpg

Santa Maria style,,,, but more like a 55 gallon drum split and laid horizontally

images

How's this for a dream?
Tim-Brown-3.jpg

The grill of my dreams is a Weber Summit! I had the pleasure of cooking on one a couple of years ago. Man,that thing put out some BTUs AND was a beauty too!

ChuckO, you need to do a write up on the lodge as soon as you use it. So why the Genesis? I mean, I get the brand loyalty, but why gas and not the summit?

Clint,That santa maria is bad @&$! Who ever built that did a good job. The even run it on a DCS rotisserie motor. Too bad it's on NG thou. Would you build it yourself or source it out?

Phil, The summit is a beast. Do you perfer gas over charcoal?

Sorry for the dumb questions guys and I do appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:
I've been wondering on how to make the adjustable mechanism thinking (bike) chains (& sprocket), but it seems most are using a wire wrap. I probably build something myself.... I could see building a pit like that - I'm happy to have stumbled across it! I'm too lazy (busy), I don't see that in my near future...I'm already neglecting too many maintenance projects. It would need a roof I was thinking.

Last edited:
The grill of my dreams is a Weber Summit! I had the pleasure of cooking on one a couple of years ago. Man,that thing put out some BTUs AND was a beauty too!

hard to believe how much I like my oldie genesis silver B - that cooks like no other----- I've never seen a summit but I sure wouldn't turn one down

Well I'm a little older than the age group you're looking at but here's my thoughts. We already down sized into a patio home with a small yard, of course we dragged all six of our grills over here. We have a small covered patio so I built a extension to the patio behind the house which is not covered.
I have a genesis E320 NG which we use a lot because it's quick and easy for simple cooks, especially in the winter. Also a Performer which is docked in it's own parking spot on the patio extension for charcoal cooks and two smokers a mini and a 18.5, plus my old Geneses 1000 which is the roto grill only now. I built a rolling service cart to use as a work station because we are always moving the grills to an area we can use them which is a pain.
My dream grill would be a combination grill with a Weber kettle on one end and say a Genesis 1000 size propane grill on the other end with about a three foot table with enclosed cabinets between them. Also with larger rubber tires like on furniture dolly that can go over rougher terrain for portability. that would allow me to store it on the covered patio and move out on the lawn to cook with ease.

I kind of like my set up right now: Ranch Kettle; 22.5" WSM; Jumbo Joe; Cheapo Gasser w/ Grill Grates; and, a couple of 22" Kettles at the beach. If I had to do it over and had the coin I would figure out a good way to integrate all of the above into a work space with easy access to clean out ashes. I'd ditch the cheapo gasser for a genesis. Have a cool spot for the WSM which also acted as a wind screen. Then a bunch of garden gnomes that cleaned the grills and ash when I was done!

Todd,I started on an ECB gasser,then got a Weber Genesis AND a Weber kettle. I've come to prefer the kettle,but the Gennie is great for a quick midweek steak/chop/burger/BSCB. Plus,when I have a SD cook or my whole family here,it's nice to have two grills and a smoker that I can cook outdoors on and not heat the whole house!

My dream is very simple, a 26.5" Platinum Performer. With this cooker I could do anything. Can you hear me Weber?

Bill beat me to it, but ditto what he said...WEBER do you here us !?!

Todd, I am content with what I got see below, but A 26 performer would ice it for me. Might even down size a few of my current kettles if weber made one...

ChuckO, you need to do a write up on the lodge as soon as you use it. So why the Genesis? I mean, I get the brand loyalty, but why gas and not the summit?
I'm really looking forward to the Lodge, I had a Marsh Allen until recently when someone thought they needed it more than I while hunting Grizzly Island. Pretty brave (aka stupid) to steal from people armed with 12GA shotguns...

I have to admit, when I just want to BBQ something, I like cooking over gas, charcoal is work. The S330 floats my boat. It's basically $1K, you can't get a Summit for < $1K, equipped like the S330

So what I'm getting so far is, most of you are very content with what you already have? Interesting!
I think most of the answers are from those of us who have already gone through the "next cooker" phase and have settled on what works for us. You need more answers from newer Q'ers who are still "into" the equipment.

I mean I have a genesis C, a WSM 18, a WSM 22, a mini I made, and a nice 25 y/o red kettle. I guess I could use a ranch or a 26" kettle, but for what?

My interest these days is more in after market mods like kettle pizza, mojoe griddle & etc.

I think like me, most of the members here have an "already too big" grills collection and/or excessive brand loyalty to Weber, so it might not be the best market research for you.

I have zero interest in a designer or high end built in outside grill. If anything I'd want a plumbed sink and tile prep area out there with a wind break for all my grills. But I'm not about to pay someone to build that for me any time soon.

Back