Inside scoop on the new "Original" Kingsford charcoal

Jon in SF

TVWBB Fan
I don't know if this is old news or new news but I just found out that Kingsford is changing their "Original" briquettes again. They will be more airy and lighter which will come up to temperature 25% faster than before. Instead of the 20 pound bags, they will now be 18.6 pounds and is due to be available in the US around February or March

I don't know about a price increase but it does sound like they're going to charge us the same price for less product. The person I talked to said the bags are lighter cause the briquettes are lighter but it'll have the same amount of briquettes

I don't know about a price increase but it does sound like they're going to charge us the same price for less product. The person I talked to said the bags are lighter cause the briquettes are lighter but it'll have the same amount of briquettes

Less product/same price= price increase

Dumb question, if they come up to temp 25% faster will they burn out 25% faster?
That'd be a huge kick in the chops.

If you are into high- heat cooks, this must be a great change? If not, you might be right. I use briquettes for slow cooks, if I want high heat fast, i use regular coals. For the brands I can buy here, the difference is signifikant.

Not liking this at all! If they come up to temp 25% faster and if they burn at a faster rate which we don't know yet, then more fuel consumed per cook is more price increase per cook, besides the lighter weight.

Last edited:
I have used Kingsford for most of my young adult life.

In regards to this announcement I have only a one word response which has been mine for many years.

Stubbs

Well.. It should still be sold at a bargain price a few times a year, and folks will buy truckloads.

Tim

I buy Kingsford on sale and use it primarily for grilling on the kettle. This change/price-increase won't affect me much for that.

The more expensive Stubbs comes out for low and slow cooks.

This might be in response to the problems I've been having with KB and dampness. They might be changing the formula to use less additives. Less weight, same amount of charcoal, same price. Just less additives.

6a00d83527e90e69e2012875fcb34c970c-320pi

I'm guessing the reviews will be in before I burn through the 240lbs I have left. Plenty of time for me to make a decision.

Back