My first smoker

Pete (ZIMPETE)

I have been wanting a smoker for many months and I didn’t know where to turn. I found this sit by mistake a few months back and have been here trolling for a few months. With my birthday being Saturday (35) my wife was hinting about what I wanted. Usually she gets me a gun for my birthday and x-mas but with sales being slow at work we are watching what we spend our money on. I told her about this site and the link to Amazon.

Today while pulling up to my house I saw a delivery truck driving away. My wife had the “don’t even ask” look on her face and my 6 year old had a smile from ear to ear. Later this evening I saw a very large box in the garage covered by a blanket. I knew what it was. I went to the store and bought some ribs, rub, charcoal, wood chunks and beer. Now I just have to wait for Saturday afternoon to see what all the rave is about.

If it’s not a smoker, I guess it’s back to ribs in the crock pot
icon_frown.gif

I'd say your wife deserves an extra big kiss on your birthday. But just think of all the great Q you can make for your family now. They will love you even more!

My dreams have come true.

My day started off like most Saturdays, I went to my part time job at 8:00am, the entire time there I kept wondering, could it be, would she have taken the time to order a WSM for me. I worked fast, got done early and rushed home. My sons, ages 3 & 6, met me at the door (first time in months) singing Happy Birthday. They gave me some crafts they made for me and a card; my wife went to the basement and came out with a new cooler for the pontoon. I thought to myself, is this what she got me, no WSM, how could this be. Then to my surprise she said “there is one more thing in the garage”, I knew it, she got me the smoker. I ran to the garage like a little kid on x-mas, there it was, a large white box with a picture of an 18” WSM on it.

Just as I started to open the box, my wife said we had to go to my parents for lunch and we were going to be late if we didn’t leave now. I almost cried. At my parents I got a charcoal chimney, wood chunks, a rib rack and $50.00 for meat. Mom made pork chops on the grill, potato salad, cole slaw and beans. Dad got out a new .357 magnum he bought and we all took turns trying to hit the baseballs he has hanging from a tree 50 yards away.

The boys fell asleep on the way home from playing with Papa all day so this made putting them to bed easy. I went to the garage to get started. I was amazed at the quality of the WSM; everything went together very well with no twisting or bending to get the bolts in. The racks, lid and center section all fit well, even the door. I made the wife park her van outside just so I had more room to walk around my new toy.

My ribs are soaking and will be ready for the WSM as soon as I get home from church Sunday. With some leftover beans and potato salad from Mom, I think we will have an outstanding supper.

Fun ain't it? Happy birthday and happy smoking. What a way to bring in Spring (due any day now).

Wow Pete - Happy Birthday. Give your wife a big hug from all of us. A pretty special lady she is. And now that there is (5) five in the family (You will have to give the WSM a name) we will be expecting pics of some of your cooks before long and we are all dying to hear your new family member's name. lol. You see Pete, we are all addicts on here and just a little nuts. Good cooking to you and the best to your wife and family and welcome to the forum. Bob B
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back