Heritage pork

Lance

TVWBB Super Fan
After looking at J's berkshire pork chops and his response about the flavor, I was wondering is it worth looking for heritage pork meat? If the berkshire pork is almost the same as commercial pork is it worth the mark up for the meat? I know there are other heritage pork breeds but know nothing about them. Now that I am in Portland, OR, I may have a better chance of finding heritage pork.
Lance

I have had a lot of Berk pork and can't say I've ever found it much like commercial pork. Sure, it's pork. The flavor is fuller to me and it is (or should be) much less lean, thankfully. Regardless, for me it is always worth seeking out pastured pork, irrespective of breed, as the conditions that commercial pork are raised in are deplorable to me.

It's worth seeking out and trying for yourself though, imo. I also like Duroc (I often have one or more Duroc crosses in a pen), Guinea, Old Spots - there are many.

Oregon has an abundance of farms that raise pastured pork, beef, chicken - and lots of lamb. Many sell to farmers markets, direct off the farm, or via mail. See here for many of them. Contact them (if their websites don't have the info) if you are interested in knowing the breeding stock used. (Don't miss the Gunieas that Full of Life Farm is raising, due summer 2010.)

like Kevin states, the key is to find someone local that pasture raises the hogs. I've eaten chops from a pasture raise pig that was very noticeably different in flavor and color. I don't know if the berk chops were pasture raised or not as they came from a butcher in nyc and were very reasonably priced.

I'm aware of a hog farmer in the PNW that is very highly regarded nationally. They raise mangalistas. I'd try to seek them out.

Guys,
Thanks for the information. I will have to scout it out when I get the chance. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen until the end of December.
Lance

Lance,

Have you tried this place? Very nice people and quality products. I used to go there when we lived in Camas, WA. If they don't sell what you're looking for they could certainly steer you in the right direction.

Back