Faux Joe

Nate Frost

TVWBB All-Star
My pops threw this together for me today based on the mojo griddle. Thought id share some pics.

Last edited:
Looking good! I got started on mine last Friday but won't have time to get back to it for a while. What are you double welded nuts for? I'm also making two rectangles to replace two grates on my 670 when I want to cook breakfast outside.

My circle cutting jig I threw together quickly:

Here's the roughed out circle and extra steel for the 670 grates:

As an owner of a true Mojoe Griddle, that I purchased from Cam Stone, a member here on this board and the entrepreneur of the Mojoe Griddle, I can't help but feel for Cam, watching people copy his ideas, instead of buying his product.
I realize the old saying of, copying is the greatest form of flattery, but wondering how true that really is.

As an owner of a true Mojoe Griddle, that I purchased from Cam Stone, a member here on this board and the entrepreneur of the Mojoe Griddle, I can't help but feel for Cam, watching people copy his ideas, instead of buying his product.
I realize the old saying of, copying is the greatest form of flattery, but wondering how true that really is.

He probably has mixed feelings on the issue: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50798-MoJoe-Griddle&p=565333&viewfull=1#post565333

I think I'd prefer a smaller one where I could close the lid if desired, or maybe rectangular, with exposure to the coals (to scrape grease/junk into)... but I really think a discada is more my style..... not that anyone asked :)

His cut is definitely a lot cleaner. I have some grinding to do. I wanted some play in the end so I could angle the tip but that also made it difficult to maintain the same arc so I'm sure mine is out of round...but like others have mentioned, I'd like to make one that the drippings drop inside the weber...if I like how it cooks. I'm more anxious to try the rectangles on the gasser. Bacon is a pain in the house and cooking for 6 people + the extra room helps

Thanks for posting that pic of his jig...

Mary, I'm a small business owner myself. I got started as a DIYer and that led to my business opportunity. I didn't invent the service but if my customers choose to buy the equipment and DIY, I don't begrudge them. Now, on the other hand, if they go in business to do the exact same service, I'd be a little frustrated but even then, it's a big ole' world and they're just trying to put food on their table, too. He made the point in another thread that he thinks it's good for people that have the skill to build one and for those that don't to buy one of his. I'll be at a lot of camp grounds this summer and when people ask me what it is and where I got it. I'll tell them it's a Mojoe Griddle knock off but if you want one go check them out online. And if I like it, I'll tell them it's worth every penny just to order it if they don't have the skills.

When I first asked about them I immediately started drawing one up on sketchup. I got the diameter wrong at 18.5" for a 22.5". Then he generously offered up his specs. I think the way he's looking at it will pay off for him, big time. His site looks great, he comes across with a good demeanor which makes people like him and he understands that he's building a following and this takes time. I think it's a great story.

I know you're looking out for him as a loyal customer. Even though I didn't buy from him, I feel like his customer. I just think it's cool, through technology, that we can interact with the owner.

Last edited:
If I had the equipment, I'd make one (i don't). Seeing it here, I'd buy one. Seeing it here, I'd buy one from Cam (but it's not practical distance-wise). Thousands (millions?) of people out there in both camps. This can only be good for Cam IMO.

In an aside, do you use or even try some kopy-kat recipes out there/found on this site? Baby Ray sauce? Montreal steak spice? Same thing.

Last edited:
In an aside, do you use or even try some kopy-kat recipes out there/found on this site? Baby Ray sauce? Montreal steak spice? Same thing.

Len, Do you mean these? Oh sure, I use the copy Kat books, but not often, I think I got them on Amazon if you're interested, and the Montreal seasonings, I believe I
bought at Safeway, and the Sweet Baby Ray's, I do believe came from Albertsons.. As for using any recipes from this site, no I haven't, but I do look at all the beautiful plates of food, people post on here, and comment on them...Does that count?

Last edited:

Len, Do you mean these? Oh sure, I use the copy Kat books, but not often, I think I got them on Amazon if you're interested, and the Montreal seasonings, I believe I
bought at Safeway, and the Sweet Baby Ray's, I do believe came from Albertsons.. As for using any recipes from this site, no I haven't, but I do look at all the beautiful plates of food, people post on here, and comment on them...Does that count?

Mary,

I'm pretty sure what he was going after is that there are many other things that people "copy cat" on this site and elsewhere. Sauces, Seasonings, rubs, etc. Basically, if someone has the ability to DIY something, they probably will.

This thing is great! I sort of rushed the finish of it today. I was running out of argon gas, the sky clouded up and the rain was coming, the kids were under my feet and I didn't have a protractor. I'm going to cut the leg/ rails back off and weld them right and a better tolerance from the edge so it'll quit falling inside the grill. After my recent 6 cycle seasoning of a cast iron 12" skillet and a griddle, I was shocked at how nonstick it is this early on.

I can really see using this a LOT! There are all kinds of uses for this thing. I'm more of a practical function over form but cooking on it is really fun. I kept throwing water on it to see the huge plume of steam- it looks impressive. I can see a crowd gathering at a camp ground. What I'm most looking forward to is messy bacon outside (cook it fast) and all other bulk cooking for gatherings.

Order you a Mojoe for Christmas!

Last edited:
Awsome Jeff. I did the same thing to day. Cleaned it and seasoned it this morning and cooked some bacon. Tonight, Carne asada tacos. Check out the photo thread. Here's a sneak peek. This had to be the fastest cook I've ever done.

Man, those look good. I want to try philly cheese steak and some Italian sausage with peppers and onions.

Yes, the chicken was done very quickly. It sort of reminds me of cooking Chinese with a wok. All your time is spent prepping the ingredients.

You feel like one of those chefs at a Japanese steak house with the metal clanging constantly and throwing a little water on for fun and steaming...

Mary,

I'm pretty sure what he was going after is that there are many other things that people "copy cat" on this site and elsewhere. Sauces, Seasonings, rubs, etc. Basically, if someone has the ability to DIY something, they probably will.

Hi Dave!
Long time no see! How are you? Thank you for pointing that out to me, but I was well aware what I was doing, it was my way of politely being a smart a$$. You see, I totally understand the DIY bit, that's kinda the beauty of the internet, and especially, YouTube, where a person can look up another person's project, and have that " Ah-Ha" moment, or "Thats how it's done!" moment. But to blatantly steal someone's patented invention, and make their own using the proprietor's own blueprints, so to speak, and post pictures and comments of their build, is like rubbing Cam's nose in it, and having the audacity, to call themselves one of Cam's customers, which I am a true bought and paid for customer, just chaps my a$$!
Anyone who's watched any of Cam's Mojoe videos, knows he's approaching retirement age, I'm sure Cam started this business, Mojoe Outfitters, to help with retirement income, it cost big money to start a business, pay to have several prototypes made, then to pay again to have your invention patented, one needs to pay a patent attorney. I'm sure Cam used every bit of his savings, plus some to get this business started, and to have people think they are his customers by ripping him off so blatantly and thanking him for allowing them to steal from him is so unethical and morally just plain wrong in my book. Kinda reminds me of "The Happy Cooker" kettle grill that was so obviously a knock off of the Weber Kettle.
Weber was not as nice to the Happy Cooker people, as Cam is, nor would I be. But then again, I'm retired and know how blessed I am to have a pension that supports me, I wonder if Cam has a pension waiting, or is Mojoe Outfitters his pension?

Hi everyone,

As you know, we have a rule that prohibits people from posting messages to market, promote, sell, or support their own product. I have deleted many of the posts in this thread that violate the policy and I've asked Cam, the creator of the MoJoe Griddle, to refrain from such posts moving forward. Nothing personal, he's a good guy with a great product, and I think he was trying to be helpful, not trying to take advantage of the situation.

As for other aspects of this thread, please treat each other with respect and kindness. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I don't think it's helpful to question the motives of those who are making this as a DIY project. There is a long history in BBQ circles of people making their own pits and accessories based on established product designs. It just comes with the territory.

Thanks,
Chris

Back