Burnt Pepper

Andy Erickson

TVWBB Pro
I like to do my steaks over a roaring charcoal fire as hot as I can get for a couple of minutes per side, but everytime I put pepper on the steak beforehand it gets burnt badly.

What I do now:

1) Apply kosher salt to steaks.
2) Put them on my CI grate directly over the hot coals for about 3 minutes a side.
3) When I flip them, I give each side a sprinkle of pepper from my pepper mill.
4) Then move the steaks to indirect heat to get them to Medium Rare (About 125 for me).

How do people use Montreal Steak Seasoning and the like on steaks without burning the pepper?

I never use purchased blends for steaks but do use a lot of pepper, usually a lot of white mixed with black and green.

It doesn't burn because I don't cook direct, either at all or if I do it's brief.

I don't think that I have problems with the pepper burning:

I cook steaks at very high heat on my gasser:
-Start with NY Strips about 1-1/4" thick
-Apply kosher flake salt
-Apply fresh-ground (coarse) tri-pepper mix
-Load-up the smoker box in my grill
-Let it sit while grill comes up to temperature

My gasser has grates that can be height-adjusted by flipping them over. I keep 'em in the high position.

-Toss steaks on for about 3-1/2 minutes per side
-Run at full-blast for first half of time
(toss-down, plus first flip)
-turn heat down for second half of cook to about 3/4 full
-take 'em off and rest for about 3 minutes

I get what I consider perfect medium-rare
-a thin "crust" on the outside (fat / salt / pepper)
-nice & juicy on the inside

I use a reverse sear method on steaks and chops. I use a banked lump fire. I get it as hot as possible and add a piece of mesquite for steaks or pecan for chops. Place the meat on the cold side of the grill for 30 min for a little aromatic therapy then over the coals 3 min a side for some great gill marks. When they come off to rest they get a pinch of k-salt and a dollop of whipped roasted garlic butter. That's it

Back