What's your favorite poison?

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
I've been wanting to ask this question for a while. I've been lurking but not posting.

Ok, what is your favorite bourbon and why?

I guess I should've said this is a two part question :)

What's you favorite way to consume it?

Ok, ok, I thought I should would the second part of the first question slightly different :) follow me? OOOPPS, there's another one?

What at is it about the bourbon that you like or you feel is better than others?

I've been wanting to ask this question for a while. I've been lurking but not posting.

Ok, what is your favorite bourbon and why?

I guess I should've said this is a two part question :)

What's you favorite way to consume it?

favorite bourbon, probably booker's ( excluding the uber premium stuff that one has a hard time finding). Daily driver, probably knob creek.

Same way every time, 2 to three fingers and a glass.

I drink my share of Evan Williams, and Jim Beam white label, but my favorite bourbon is Four Roses.
Mostly the yellow label, but the small batch is great too.
The reason? Taste, and it's smooth, smooth smooth.
Always in a thick rocks glass, and on the rocks.

edit to add:
another reason is price.
On sale EW is $19, JB at Costco is $21, and Four Roses is around $27, all 1.75 L.

Last edited:
I've been a Jim Beam man for many moons! I like it neat,with a couple whiskey stones thrown in to cool it off. It's just a nice bourbon that I can afford to drink every now and then.
Plus,years ago,I was looking in the sports page and saw an ad looking for whiskey drinkers. Curious,I called the number. They asked me which whiskeys I liked to drink. I told them the usual Jim,Jack,Evan and an occasional trip to the bird side(Wild Turkey). They asked me if I wanted to be part of a consumer research group. For cash,no less! I said yes,and spent an evening talking with some other Jim Beam enthusiasts to some Jim Beam marketing people! No whiskey was shared :(,but I walked outta there with $75 cash! Woooo! Bought my OWN dang Jim Beam! :p

I like most of the usual suspects already mentioned. But I really like Eagle Rare, Bulleit and Elijah Craig. You buying? I'll take a Blanton's, thanks. ;)

How do I like it? Two fingers and an ice cube, maybe two.

I forgot about blanton, it seems to be gone from my market or they moved it at my neighborhood liquor store. Every week it seems there are new ones, I bought a bottle of high west from Utah that was okay and had Breckenridge at a tasting ( lots of people really seemed to like this) but it was meh.

The knob creek rye, although not a bourbon, is a good American rye if you haven't had it.

Buffalo Trace is a good choice at a great price. I like to drink any bourbon over a king cube which is a 2" square ice cube that melts slowly and doesn't dilute your bourbon quickly.

You can find the silicone molds out there at houseware dept stores.

All the brands previously mentioned are worthy.

jz

Maker's Mark straight up, Jim beam if mixing. Wild Turkey 101 for special occasions. That's the only bourbon Barb will drink and only over rocks, no mix.

Evan Williams (1.75L was $15.97 at "Hellmart") for low budget, Maker's Mark and Knob Creek for going a bit upscale. Like most here, in a bourbon glass with a cube or two makes me happy!

Corner Creek bourbon is great, at a decent price point.

For comparison I like Makers and Knob Creek, too. Evan Williams is a little rough for me but you guys are making me want to go out and get a handle of it...

For comparison I like Makers and Knob Creek, too. Evan Williams is a little rough for me but you guys are making me want to go out and get a handle of it...

Our son and I had a taste test between Evan Williams (86 proof) and Ezra Brooks (90 proof). After tasting Ezra (which is very good), the Evan Williams was smoooth! Of course, our taste test was at our house in Colorado (elevation 8000 ft), so it didn't take much for our brains to go south....:confused:

Back