Remembrance Day

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru
Today in the UK, and all over the Commonwealth, is Remembrance Day. (I think it's Veteren's Day in America).

The day when we observe a 2 minute's silence at 11:00 am, and think of all those who gave their lives during the Great War of 1914-18.

It is observed nowadays to include all those who have fallen in battle up to the present day.

The common British, Canadian, South African, and ANZAC tradition includes a one or two minute silence at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month (11:00 am, 11 November), as that marks the time (in the United Kingdom) when the armistice became effective.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

121r48n.jpg

Last edited:
Well said sir.

We too celebrate with parades and a day from work to remember the sacrifices of our fallen. I know a lot of good people in Arlington that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Cheers!

nice one Tony - we even managed to get the office to fall silent at 11am this morning - a small but fitting tribute

Thank you veterans! Your sacrifices cannot be repaid, but we are forever grateful.

Just resurrecting this thread, as today is Remembrance Day here. (I believe it's Veterans Day in the U.S.).

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Special thanks to all our veterans, and to those who are currently serving. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

Thank you to those who have served and are currently serving our country.

My Dad, Ray Lampe.

Dad.jpg

My brother, Tom Lampe

Tom1.jpg

Never Forget The Sacrifices Our Servicemembers Make Each Day.

Really neat posts. When I was eighteen there was no draft anymore. My Dad was drafted and was in the Air Force. A couple of guys I work with were in the National Guard and were sent away from their families to serve in Iraq. I guess I take for granted how much these great folks have given so I can live the way I live. Thanks for the post Tony.

Robert, that reminds me of a story from my basic training.
The draft was ended in 1973,with registering ending in '75. When a young Phil reported to Ft. Knox in the summer of 1980, we were assembled in a large room by our soon to be drill sergeants and brought to attention. They then asked how many of us signed up to avoid the draft. Amazingly, about a third raised their hands! The drill sergeants, devil incarnate that they were, laughed and called them names and informed them that the draft had been over for a while and that the recruits behinds were theirs' for the next 6 weeks!
And, yes, the language has been cleaned up to fit the standards of this forum! :)

Robert, that reminds me of a story from my basic training.
The draft was ended in 1973,with registering ending in '75. When a young Phil reported to Ft. Knox in the summer of 1980, we were assembled in a large room by our soon to be drill sergeants and brought to attention. They then asked how many of us signed up to avoid the draft. Amazingly, about a third raised their hands! The drill sergeants, devil incarnate that they were, laughed and called them names and informed them that the draft had been over for a while and that the recruits behinds were theirs' for the next 6 weeks!
And, yes, the language has been cleaned up to fit the standards of this forum! :)

I was a year behind you at Knox Phil. Sep '81. Agony, Misery, and Heartbreak is all I can remember.

Back