How much charcoal to fire?

tony j

Just received (and assembled) my new 22 WSM but am not sure how much charcoal it will take to fire a short cook (salmon and chicken). Still debating whether to exchange it for an 18. I like the extra room for full slabs of ribs or a big brisket (wanna make pastrami!), but dont want to use a full bag of Kford everytime I cook.

Please help, been agonizing since Monday!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tony j:
Just received (and assembled) my new 22 WSM but am not sure how much charcoal it will take to fire a short cook (salmon and chicken). Still debating whether to exchange it for an 18. I like the extra room for full slabs of ribs or a big brisket (wanna make pastrami!), but dont want to use a full bag of Kford everytime I cook.

Please help, been agonizing since Monday! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to fill that massive ring on a short cook!

I got the 22 but ordered the 18's charcoal ring, But before I got the ring in, I just outlined the inside of the ring with some bricks I had. For a short chicken cook you could probably just use 2 chimney's (weber size) or less coals (half of one lit to start) of course that depends on the heat you run it at etc.. I did 6 hours on a 9 pound bag of generic charcoal and had charcoal left at the end. Don't be afraid of the 22 it holds heat very well. I need to experiment some without water in the pan--I think I could get a 2 hour cook out of 1 full weber chimney with half lit.. just a guess I will have to test.

I have an idea to make an adjustable size charcoal ring using two pieces of expanded metal from the hardware store 12''x24'' (9bucks) http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn...d=168753-37672-11786 and wire to tie it using different diameters depending on the length of time I want to cook. This way on a short cook I could keep a small amount of charcoal in a smaller ring together.

Ward, thanks for the input.

After talking to Dave @ Kansas City BBQ Store, I am definitely sticking with the 22. Your idea of an adjustable ring sounds good; thanks for the link.

Back