Making your own sauces?

Tom Golden

TVWBB Pro
Just wondering if anyone else makes there own sauces. I make my own BBQ, but this weekend I have some Maui ribs marinating in my own home made sauce and making Hoisin sauce tomorrow. For Vietnamese salad rolls. Fun part is talking to Japanese grocery store owners to find red miso. Thank goodness for Google translate!

Anyone else make their own sauces? Dressings?

I do a little of everything. I enjoy making sauces, it's part of the cooking experience. I do buy al some of my sauces too.

I'd love to find red miso - I've read about making it in Wild Fermentation but I'm not ready for that yet.

I've had little success (some though!) with salad dressings - I haven't liked any ranch or bleu cheese dressings, but I made a very decent Italian not that long ago.......

BBQ - I love #5 & Miss Piggy's Mustard Sauce (I can make a really good lazy version of it)

I make 3 or 4 different BBQ sauces some my own design some from other sources. I have a bunch of marinades I make again some of my own and some I've picked up from here and there, but I tweak them to what I like.

I have a generic BBQ sauce that's a combo of 3 or 4 different sauce recipes that I used to make way back when in my Army cooking days. IIRC,there was a slightly different sauce for whatever we were cooking that day. They were all really similar,so I combined them into one pretty yummy sauce! And,I've been known to whip it out on occasion! ;)

I do something a bit the same Phil. I make a sauce base and then flavour accordingly. From this weekends base will come "Morita Maple", "Tequila Habanero" and (assuming my ghost chili supplier comes through) "Boubon Ghost" otherwise I'll do something with Thai chilies.

I like to make my own low carb sauces. I am close to getting one the way I like it. Once I do I'll post it but it's not quite ready for prime time.

I make all my own rubs and sauces. I Q a lot, and the store-bought rubs and sauces I like are too expensive.

I enjoy making sauces and I always go back to my old copy of JOY. You get the classic french versions (with some tweaks) along with some really good tomato/chili based sauces, dressings, flavored oils, rubs etc.
A good book on technique and the what and whatnot's, and a must have (IMO) on any ones cook book shelf.:)

Tim

You talking about the original Joy of Cooking, Tim? I've got a copy of that too. With the exception of my old Better Homes that my mother gave me, it's probably my first cook book.

Once you start making your own sauces and dressing it's hard to go back to store bought.
I haven't bought sauce or salad dressing in years

You talking about the original Joy of Cooking, Tim? I've got a copy of that too. With the exception of my old Better Homes that my mother gave me, it's probably my first cook book.

Yep, I have the original one and the newer updated one from 97. That and BH&G were also my first cook books along with Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet.

Tim

Last edited:

Back