Book Recommendations

J. Davis

I have just purchased my first WSM and I have to say this is the website that sold me on it, what a great site! Now I am looking for a few book recommendations that would help out cooking on the WSM. Thanks in advance.

JD

See what folks here have had to say in the past here and here.Plenty to choose from, and welcome to the forum. Let us know what you're cookin'/smokin'/grillin' (preferably with pics).
wsmsmile8gm.gif

If you want to really go against the grain, try Gary Wiviott's "Low and Slow". If you check it out, you mind find it kind of funny that he was interviewed here. Let's just say he's a little more colorful, and a little less anal...
icon_smile.gif

Having spent several years working just a few blocks from Mike Mill's restaurant (and eating away a few paychecks over those years), I had to get peace, love, etc. I liked it. It was a good book, it had some history relevant to my neck of the woods. I don't believe the sauce or rub recipe is what is served in the restaurant. I don't agree with everything in it.

Right now I don't think bbq is about books. You know the basics already. Past that its practice and experience. Find what works for you, your tongue, and your cooker. Own it and make it yours. I can't say with certainty but I don't think I'll be buying anymore books. My bbq will never be your bbq, no matter how delicious yours is or how closely I try to follow you. Know the basics of what to do and narrow it down. Ymmv.

I've looked at most of the books on this site. I thought the 2 most informative books were: Paul Kirkland's championship BBQ (the sauces book is also good) tons of info in this one!!
Dr BBQ's Big-Time (Ray Lampe) Less recipies overall, but all very good!!

Books not for me:
Peace love and BBQ was good reading but less info.
Low and Slow was too anal

Well I settled on 4 books to get me started.

1. Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes by: Steven Raichlen

2. Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue

3. "Smoke & Spice by: Cheryl Alters Jamison

4. Low & Slow by: Gary Wiviott

Wish me luck!

Back