Patio heater question

I'm guessing it's more of a catalytic heater & instead it's shooting flames?

There might be a replaceable catalytic element (screen or something), probably not the regulator...something at the burner end (it appears to be getting plenty of fuel)

I would take it apart - it looks like the burner head is split or cracked - and would need replacing

I'll try tearing it down, but I suspect I'll keep a weary eye out at Home Depot for them to go on sale. The last two years they were $75 on sale (reg $99) hopefully they'll go on sale, as my patio heater skills aren't too good, lol

Thank you guys for the info

Regardless of what it is Chuck, it is definitely producing Carbon Monoxide. That huge flame impinging on the cover like that will do it. You can probably detect an aldehyde odor from the incomplete combustion. Make sure your orifice is correct. If it's new, make sure it's not set up for natural gas (PG&E) if you're using it with Propane. Natural gas orifice is larger that that for propane and will allow way too much LP gas to pass, possibly causing what you are seeing. What the other guys mentioned are all good tips too. Just wanted to give you another possibility.

Regardless of what it is Chuck, it is definitely producing Carbon Monoxide. That huge flame impinging on the cover like that will do it. You can probably detect an aldehyde odor from the incomplete combustion. Make sure your orifice is correct. If it's new, make sure it's not set up for natural gas (PG&E) if you're using it with Propane. Natural gas orifice is larger that that for propane and will allow way too much LP gas to pass, possibly causing what you are seeing. What the other guys mentioned are all good tips too. Just wanted to give you another possibility.
As you're pretty aware, kalifornia got pretty cold the last two days and gonna be real cold in the next couple days. So I tore it down, didn't find any cracks or anything, blew it out real good with the air compressor, put it back together and..................

[video]http://vid3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/chaz28o/0E309040-06C8-49E4-B12A-F3E07134A2A7_zpsi0acxjgz.mp4[/video]

Woo hoo............Sweet Heat!!!

Back