Pretzels

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
Made these this morning. They came out really well. Also made Kevin's nacho cheese sauce (here ) with Jalapeno, cumin, onion, and garlic to go with. Definately recomend.

4.5 C AP Flour
1 T Instant Yeast
1.5 t salt
1 T Malt Powder (or sugar)
1.5 C warm water
1/4 C melted butter

3/4 C Baking Soda
1 Egg

Mix the dry ingredients together. Mix in the wet and form a rough ball. Knead for about 10 minutes or toss into a stand mixer for about 5 (until you have a nice smooth dough). Let rest for an hour in an oiled bowl.

Shape the pretzels (roll out like a rope and fold two u shapes to meet in the middle)

Pre heat the oven to 400. In the mean time heat up about 5 litres of water and 3/4 C baking soda. Once warm toss the pretzels in for about 15 seconds a piece.

Make an egg wash of 1 egg yolk and a t of water. Brush each pretzel with the wash and then cover with kosher salt.

Place the shaped pretzels on a baking sheet (I put on silplat so it wouldn't stick but parchment would work). Back for about 13 minutes or so (until they are brown on top).

Cool them down and enjoy.

Any questions just ask

Clark

Hi Clark,

I want to give this recipe a try. I just wanted to confirm the amount of baking soda. Is 3/4 cup correct? That seems like a lot.

I did a little looking and the amount of baking soda is correct. Remember, this is only going into the water you are boiling them in and should be fine.

Really sorry for the slow response. I was away for a bit.

As Elsie says this is correct. What you are doing is making the water into a mild alkaline solution. This will help turn your pretzels that nice shade of brown and give them a nice crisp crust while staying moist inside.

Traditionally they actually use food based lye which is much stronger and can not be boiled. I have never used it but have had pretzels in Germany and there is something to it. These are really good but not quite as good. Having said that they are still well worth it.

Let me know if there are any questions!

Clark

Back