Got Elk ? or not.....

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
Me and my hunting bro took our annual elk hunting trip to Cuba NM last week. We have hunted up there for many years. The big elk that you see in my avatar was taken here. I have shot 4 elk here in one little area. It is a beautiful 1/2 mile draw where bull elk love to gather. Most people think it is too small a area to hunt. And give up right away. I have learned how to hunt this little honey hole of a bull elk area.
Here is this years results.

Took this 4x5 bull by 8:15 am opening day. He is not huge but he is very nice. But will make some great jerky, sausage, green peppered steak & roast or two.

Two days later my buddy who was giving me a hard time because I have got 4 bulls in this area. He has had 3 or 4 opportunities, but just couldn't get the shots off. That's what makes this hunting such a great sport. Bull elk are hard to get up on when they have been hunted for 2 months before we get our chance. But then luck shown on him and he took this magnificent 5x6 mature bull in the same area. Needless to say he was elated. And all the years he put in was well worth the results.

As you can see we had one heck of a 5 day hunting trip. It doesn;t always happen this way. So this was a very special year for us.
We will have lots of jerky, sausage ect.
If you ever get the chance to come out west and hunt elk give it a shot. It is a thrill of a life time.
With regards,
Russ

Congrats to you and your buddy, Russ! Two fine lookin' bull elk. Hope to see several posts from you when you grill some up!! :)

Two great trophies Russ. I have learned throughout the years, it's not the size of the antlers that makes the trophy, but the memories of the hunt that are most important! Great memories with a good friend, your hunt was a success before you ever chambered the first round.
Thanks for sharing,
Tim

I was given a nice big box of assorted cuts of elk meat from my uncle many years ago..... long before I found this forum. I'd love to get at least one of my own. I really enjoyed the flavor.

A couple of really nice elk Russ, congrats to you both!
My son and grandson came up empty this year.
They hunt an area NE of Lake City, CO.

Both are nice elk - congrats. We used to go there when I was a kid, fun times. More recently we used to hunt way west and south of Quemado (south of Red Hill) but stopped going. The guys from Texas were "tearing it up" a couple of years in a row so we decided to stay away (didn't want to get shot). May try Cuba if I can draw.

Back