This is all the proof I need and I'm not afraid to admit it!

Jose Suro

TVWBB All-Star
I RATHER BE LUCKY THAN GOOD!

Hi All,

On my shoot to NC for the fall foliage I got some really nice images but this one is special. I love this image, probably my favorite so far from the ones I've scanned from the NC trip, and it was an accident .

It went this way:

I had finished the shots of the Looking Glass Falls using Ektar negative film, with all that great dynamic range and all. I had the climb out and up to the truck so I figured, why not shoot a Velvia 50 film image since I was already there and had some in my tripod bag. The trick was that I had to wait for the wind to stop moving the beautiful, little yellow tree to the right of the falls so all the leaves in the rest of the image wouldn’t show blurs with the 2-second exposure. I used it as my wind telltale.

So, I waited, and waited, and waited….. It must have been close to five minutes before that little tree stopped moving. When it did I immediately pressed the shutter and made the exposure. I was concentrating on that thing so hard that I didn’t notice that a cloud had blown overhead and now my exposure was about 1.5 stops to the dark. But lo and behold, it is beautifully dark. I cropped it to a 1:1 ratio.

And in case you’re thinking why not bracket exposures, at $15 for a single processed Velvia 4x5 sheet, I try not to .

Better lucky than good is all I have to say…..

Best,

Jose

i-4CQFDgj-XL.jpg

An outstanding photo Jose!
It took me a long time to embrace the slow shutter blur of waterfalls, since it seems so unnatural, but the alternative simply does not cut it.

Film?? Isn't that the stuff in my bathtub?:p
I loved it, but do not miss it either.

The fall colors are nearing peak around here, so I should get my butt back to that hill above Hannibal, MO.
This time with a more substantial camera, tripod, and a prime lens or two.
Your photos and tips motivate me.

$15 for one picture? Dude, you can get like a thousand shots on a 32 GB card!

(nice pic :) )

Truly lovely. Artistry. But an Iphone and Lightroom would get the same thing,

lol one of my more artistic friends said "everyone with a digital camera and photoshop thinks they're a photographer". He'd probably enjoy this thread - he likes my BBQ!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aa7iz/

IMHO, first you need to find something worth looking at, then you need the techniques, and then the tools. But these digital phones sure take nice pictures!

Jose,
I have no idea what you just said, but I do know that truly is a spectacular photo! Your work is exceptional, and needs to be put on paper..in magazines! As I said earlier, you speak in terminology I only wish I could understand, but your images are top notch.
Tim

Jose I saw your post over on the FM Board. Knowing your photography, you're not lucky..... you're damn good! Beautiful image.

$15 for one picture? Dude, you can get like a thousand shots on a 32 GB card!

(nice pic :) )

Insane isn't it! And I didn't tell you that if I want to print it large, and I'm talking big, I pay a really good scanner person to do that work and he charges $120 per image! The reason I do that is because my landscape prints are large 40x50 and up. My film camera produces the equivalent of ~260 megapixels. There is no commercial digital camera out there that will do that.

But then again, I do own three full digital systems, including a full astronomy digital system. I use digital mostly for bird images, like this one:

i-xCxTbQd-XL.jpg

Best,

Jose

Truly lovely. Artistry. But an Iphone and Lightroom would get the same thing,

ROFL! My camera shoots at 260 megapixels and the Iphone does what now? I have an Iphone 5 and IT is half the size of one sheet of 4x5 film! That's all I have to say about that :).

Last edited:
Insane isn't it! And I didn't tell you that if I want to print it large, and I'm talking big, I pay a really good scanner person to do that work and he charges $120 per image! The reason I do that is because my landscape prints are large 40x50 and up. My film camera produces the equivalent of ~260 megapixels. There is no commercial digital camera out there that will do that.

But then again, I do own three full digital systems, including a full astronomy digital system. I use digital mostly for bird images, like this one:

i-xCxTbQd-XL.jpg

Best,

Jose

We are dealing with a professional photographer, it seems;)
Remember Jose, half of us will admire you and the other half (Iphone shooters)... well, I'm not sure ... :(
But you also know how to cook the perfect meal - we could see several times in FG. I think you are bringing benefit for all here, it is obvious;)

Last edited:

Back