Who uses Blue Bag Kingsford??

BMKindoll

Hello everyone. Just built a UDS, and really like it. Thought I would post a few questions on here seeing as how a UDS and a WSM are very similar. Hope that's OK. I was just wondering who on here uses Blue Bag Kingsford to fuel their WSM/UDS??

Why?

Why not?

Thanks
Brandon

Brandon,
I can't speak for others, but I use lump when firing the WSM. I really like Wicked Good Charcoal's Weekend Warrior Blend. They also make lump briquettes that are great with my OTG. As far as BBK goes, I don't use it because of the additives that they use in the process. And frankly...I have never liked the smell of that stuff!

Dan

Originally posted by Dan Moore:
Brandon,
but I use lump when firing the WSM. As far as BBK goes, I don't use it because of the additives that they use in the process. And franky...I have never liked the smell of that stuff!

Dan
Ditto!

Brandon,for long cooks(8+ hours) I like regular K. If doing a shorter or high heat cook, I prefer lump. HTH

I use it exclusively...Just bought 12 bags from Lowes under their buy one get one free Labor Day Weekend deal.

I'd like to try lump but haven't found anything locally other than Cowboy, and that hasn't gotten very good reviews so I just haven't bothered.

Pre WSM, I used the BBK on the offset and my kettle. Switched over to the RO brigs, which burned and smelled cleaner IMO, and was also cheaper. After I joined this site. The only fuel I use on the WSM is lump, nothing fancy just RO lump ( It's a better value for me. )
Play with both of them and see which you prefer, cause that's all that really matters.
icon_wink.gif

Tim

I use the Kingsford also, it's super steady for long smokes. I can easily get 14+ hours plus with a full ring and low maintenance.

Don, thanks for the tip. I'm running to Lowe's today and stocking up!

So for everybody that uses it, can you tell a difference, taste-wise, in your food when cooked with lump as opposed to Kingsford BB?

I don't necessarily mean good or bad, just comments.

Brandon

I've been using CompK this summer with great results. It has a cleaner smoke smell and burns predictably. There's been commentary regarding higher heat and quicker burn but I've had no trouble keeping the temp around 215 and can run 12 hours with no problem. If you run higher, you might have to add a few coals. good luck.

Originally posted by Brett Fields:
I've been using CompK this summer with great results. It has a cleaner smoke smell and burns predictably. There's been commentary regarding higher heat and quicker burn but I've had no trouble keeping the temp around 215 and can run 12 hours with no problem. If you run higher, you might have to add a few coals. good luck.

I guess I might try that one day, I been using lump after the first cook in my Char Grill, reg blue bag made so much ash it choked my fire out & never tried it in the Pro Q...

I use lump with my Performer and briquettes with my WSM. I like the quick starting and high heat that you get with lump. For my WSM, I simply find it much easier to tightly pack briquettes in the WSM than lump. In addition, I find that it is easier to maintain a steadier temperature with briquettes.

I think I have found a good compromise. Stubb's Briquets. Natural Briqs. Haven't tried them yet but hopefully I will like them.

Brandon

I won't use Stubb's, Rancher, Maple Leaf briqs or any others that use natural binders in my Drum Smokers-the reason being is the fats dripping on the coals get stirred up and ash gets all over the meats when I open the lid. I turn the meats and rotate the grate and usually spray with Apple juice when I cook on the Drums and use Kingsford or a K/Lump mix.

But if I'm using a WSM, I've got no problem using the natural briqs, because its cooking indirect. Stubb's is my favorite!

What I like about BBK is it's consistency, I know how it behaves. I have experimented with Stubbs Royal Oak and lump. Kingsford is the most widely available charcoal in my area and I usually get the two pack at Sam's when I buy my meat. I just recently bought the 40 lb bag of Best of the West that Sam's started carrying but have not had the chance to use it.

It's all I've used since getting my new 22.5 WSM a couple of months ago. When you start your charcoal, I like the minion method, make sure that it's stopped making white puffy smoke before you start cooking. If add charcoal you need to carefully take the center section of the WSM off. After the white smoke stops put the WSM back together. Be careful not to spill hot water on your feet so wear shoes. Leave the cover on while doing this to retain as much heat as possible. If you do this you should not get any strange tastes in you barbecue.So far I've guessed at the right amount and have not had to add any charcoal, and my pork butts took ten hours to cook, came out great.

Back