Themoworks Wireless BBQ Thermometer BLUETHERM DUO

Ever since Nu-Temp went out of business and cant find my wireless BBQ thermometer, Ive been looking for a replacement. (I think way back when I/a few of us arraigned a discount for all of us)
After all of your comments on the Maverick I never took the plunge.

So, today I finally called up Thermoworks (makers of the Thermopen and Thermopop)( Have them both a as we all know you can go wrong with one…. )I asked them how come they don’t have a wireless BBQ thermometer and when are they going to be making one?!?!

She pointed me in the direction of the BLUETHERM DUO with Bluetherm PRO for IOS MODEL #292-601
http://thermoworks.com/products/logger/bluetherm_duo.html

Seriously?! How come we don’t know about this? Do we? Does anyone have this product? Does the range work well? I am confident that the product is fantastic with regards to temp…what about Bluetooth range?
Regardless, I am very excited that I found this product and more than happy to be the guinea pig ….and report to all of you.
If you buy the 860-601 its only $239 which is a $50 savings if you bought everything separately.

I hope this helps and ends up being a great product!!
Mordechai
ps I purchased said product....

I think I read that the range was the issue that people complain about. I have noticed that at all bbq websites nobody really talks much about them.

Im really interested in this product. Im still waiting because iI have a unsuccessfull experience with other bluethoot termo (Igrill2). My problem is that the WSM/kettles are round the corner in the terrace within 30 feet from my livingroom. But, as I said, round the corner.
The Igrill2 doesn't work. I must use my Iphone/Ipad in my son's sleeping room with the WSM just on the other side of his side wall.

Agree with Enrico, I have the original IGrill and I don't get very far before I lose connection and sometimes its a royal pain in the *** to connect again. At first I'd keep my WSM right outside my garage, my garage leads into the kitchen so I would just leave my phone on a kitchen counter but if I tried moving further than the kitchen itd lose connection. When it started raining I had to move my wsm to my covered front door, now I basically have to leave my phone in the coat closet by the front door. I had much better range w/ the maverick to be honest.

I'll be interested in your experience with the Duotherm Mordechai; please let us know how it goes.

My sense from reading the boards is that bluetooth technology is marginal for the range that many BBQ users are looking for...

But I don't know much about bluetooth so don't know how much that range can be improved by good design and how much is just an inherant limitation in the technology.

I will def keep you posted! I know thermoworks it top notch, but like you said, its the bluetooth technology thats gonna make or break the usefulness of the unit. I am absolutely positive that in keep track of temps and accuracy will be smack on like all their other thermometers.

My bedroom is on floor up, through a wall and probably about 30 feet from my smoker.

Ill keep you all posted...

So....the Thermometer came in just a couple of days! Packaging was very nice. I also ordered the cover and stand. I couldnt attach the stand with the cover and CS as always was a pleasure to deal with. They told me I probably overlooked another screw that was in the package, they were correct. It looks and feels like great quality.

I downloaded the app without any issues and it synced with the device without any issues. It looks like its going to work. My phone was placed aprox 20-30 feet away from the device. Now, the unit was on my porch (six feet away from the back door) which is located right outside my bedroom on the floor below. My phone was placed on the opposite end of the room. Room aprox 15 feet, six additional feet and then some more feet because of the height. I must add that I had big windows in my bedroom facing the back.

I have not done a smoke yet, I hopefully will be smoking some briskets tonight or later this week. I will continue to keep you posted after said cook. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Here is my follow up: Feel free to ask questions. I used my new thermoworks bluetooth enabled thermometer for a 24 hours smoke! ( I used it with my stumps cuz I had aton of briskets to make-multiple batches too) and it worked perfectly! I put on the protective cover I got with it, attached the tripod to the meter and attached that on the side of my weber grill (which is next to smoker). I put the probes into the smoker and meat...and they were dead on with the other probes in there as well. The most important thing was that I was able to see the temperature from the comfort of my bed throughout the entire night. It was on my night stand...it was great!
The only issues was that if I went into my front room it would lose connection with the devices. One good thing is that if it does lose the connection it makes a very loud and annoying sound to let you know.

For me and my distance...its perfect!!

P.S. The only question I have now is if I made the right decision in purchasing this and not getting the wifi Guru. For an extra $20 more I could have gotten it which would have given me access to the temps anywhere. I really didnt think about it before cuz ive always read that it was way more complicated to get the readings. It could have changed now. I think im gonna do some research into that now.

Ask away and if you have any advice on the wifi guru instead of this...let me know!

The only thing I see that is interesting is waterproof. But for almost $250 you can find other better options that are not hobbled by sucky BT range. Regardless I hope it works for you.

Enrico, how are you liking your new product. It works good for me, but only in my bedroom. I think a smarter move would have been to purchase the cyber q. At this time I thinking im going to try and sell this and purchase the cyber Q. Ive used it only twice, and its done good for me, but its limited in its use. The cyber Q would let me get notifications with regards to the temp even if im outside of the house. I kinda like that.

Mordechai
Sorry for my delay in answering you.
I've tryed my blue thermo duo and it DOES NOT WORK for my necessity. The corner is the block!
The app is amazing. But my IOS device doesn't receive well from my living room.

I must tell that my WiFi BBQ GURU is much more superior. No doubt.
But, I repeat, this is a problem of my smoking location.

Sorry for my delay too...gotta look into why im not getting email notifications.

Anways, sorry to hear about it not working out for you. Yes, I like the APP too. Very easy to use and informative.

Question for ya, why did you even think about getting this if you already had a Guru Wifi? Cuz im planning on selling this and getting the Guru Wifi. That would enable me to get a good reading anywhere in my house (i have a wireless wifi ) and email notes when im out of house......

Back