I need a new coffee maker

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Sometime between when I left the house this morning and now, my less than 2 year old Cuisinart coffee maker went belly up. I'll be honest: I like a good cup of coffee, but I don't like paying a ton of $$ for it. My only requirements are 1) It does a decent brew (I don't need ultra high end, but Mr. Coffee probably won't cut it), 2) Thermal Carafe, 3) timer and 4) under $100.

I know, it is a bit of a tall order. Any suggestions? I'd love a Technivorm Moccamaster, but I'll never pay that much for a coffee maker.

Oh, and requirement #5: NOT a Cuisinart. :D

This will do: I got mine 12/2007 & it's still rocking. It has a few quirks but I like it enough I've almost bought another:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000X7CMQ/tvwb-20

(it really does have some quirks---like some of your friends or family will have trouble using it until you show them how...nothing major, just different - read the reviews..I like mine tho)

Last edited:
First, I am an old retired guy, and something was missing in my coffee. I tried a few different coffee makers and the new Mr. Coffee made coffee that
tasted like the plastic that is was made with. I remember liking perked coffee and investigated new percolators. The new ones seem to all be made in
China. No thanks. I went into a local charity thrift shop and there it was. A GE immersible stainless steel percolator that looked like new for 10 bucks.
I bought it and it make very good coffee, keeps it hot without burning, emits great coffee smells in my kitchen while perking, and takes up less counter
space than any of the others I tried. Sure a percolator takes a bit more time to keep clean, but I don't mind since I really like the coffee it gives me.
Sounds kind of neat too.

I'm about 3 years now on a Keurig, and it serves me well since I'm a 2 cup a day person. (my wife's not a coffee drinker)
Still have a 12 cup maker for when we have company.

Thanks for the input all!

Clint: I appreciate the link. I was looking for that thread last night, but couldn't find it for some reason. I'm also looking at that Zojirushi unit you mentioned, as well as the Capresso models mentioned by Kevin Kruger in the older thread.

After I posted last night I realized what I think caused the issue on my Cuisinart. I realized it was dead when I was getting it ready for this morning's coffee and went to set the timer, but there was nothing on the display. The water I had poured into the reservoir had leaked out of the bottom shortly after I started this thread and I noticed the GFI it was plugged into had tripped. I guess the water leaked out and fried the electronics. :mad:

After I posted last night I realized what I think caused the issue on my Cuisinart. I realized it was dead when I was getting it ready for this morning's coffee and went to set the timer, but there was nothing on the display. The water I had poured into the reservoir had leaked out of the bottom shortly after I started this thread and I noticed the GFI it was plugged into had tripped. I guess the water leaked out and fried the electronics. :mad:

Same thing happened to me around 1999..... mr coffee or cuisinart - it was my first timer unit. I got only a few months out of mine,,, the zoji is my 2nd programmable unit. Lots of good options out there. Mine brews a strong cup, but I grind 7 Tbsp of whole beans per pot which is probably a lot, but that's how I like it.

I got a stove top percolator after this thread, just finishing my first cup rt now.... I can't tell a difference between this and my drip (2 tbsp junk powdered coffeemate creamer & 2 tbsp sugar, along with a little almond extract), but one thing's certain - my camping coffee experience has just improved dramatically (coffee this good in the wild).

In case you need any help learning how to use a stove top percolator (ha ha in no particular order):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkKHMiiErrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yp7RMuaPeQ

I'm also a Kuerig sorta guy. Pammi doesn't drink much coffee and none of the cheap drip makers lasted more than a couple years. The Kuerig has lasted just over 2 years now and shows no signs of slowing down. And,I'm not waiting as much coffee.

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I just pulled the trigger on the Zojirushi. It was recommended here, and by some others. It checks all the boxes and I think it'll last more than a year or two. ;)

Jim

I know, it is a bit of a tall order. Any suggestions? I'd love a Technivorm Moccamaster, but I'll never pay that much for a coffee maker.

Hey Jim.... I've got one and I'm not their biggest fan. A couple people insisted I buy a Bunn for my office which I did and it makes coffee at least as well and about $100.

I might've just got a good one, but if it's stood up to 7 years of abuse from me, my friends, family, and employees (a few WTH moments), I'm sure it'll suit you just fine.... I'll feel like a jerk if you don't like it :) I stuck a probe under the water to check the brew temp and it was definitely acceptable..... and no offense to the Kegel brewers :) , no, I don't want a Krup of coffee (ok maybe I'll have just one) :)

I might've just got a good one, but if it's stood up to 7 years of abuse from me, my friends, family, and employees (a few WTH moments), I'm sure it'll suit you just fine.... I'll feel like a jerk if you don't like it :) I stuck a probe under the water to check the brew temp and it was definitely acceptable..... and no offense to the Kegel brewers :) , no, I don't want a Krup of coffee (ok maybe I'll have just one) :)

That coffee maker was written up in a couple on-line articles I found and the brand was recommended to me by others who have said their Kojirushi appliances are top notch and last. I won't hold you personally responsible if it fails, but I may be knocking on your door asking for a cup of Joe. :D

Well, I ordered it Monday evening and it arrived at my doorstep less than 24 hours later. Gotta love Amazon. Even with "Two Day Shipping", it got here overnight.

It took all of a minute to set up and I ran two pots of water through it last night, then set it up for this morning's Joe. Got downstairs, ready to leave at 6:10, and the coffee was there waiting for me. So a flawless 'opening night' performance. I'm fighting a head cold, so I can't attest to how good a cup of coffee it makes, but for now, it is hot and it tastes like coffee. :D

Back