What brand remote thermometer?

Ralph Grunz

TVWBB Fan
Hi Guys; I am one happy new WSM 22.5 owner; long time WSM fan.... I am looking for advice on what brand/model of remote thermometer I should get for my butts and briskets.... I need at minimum; meat temperature sensor; do any have cooker temperature options too? Thanks for anything you can share with me...

I really love my Maverick ET73. It has both a food probe and a probe for the grate temp. Plus there is a wireless receiver so you can be in the house and still watch your temps. There are other options as well like where you can set a desired range for your smoker temp and an alarm will go off if the smoker gets to cold or to hot. You can also set a specific degree you want your meat to reach and an alarm will sound when you reach that temp. I used the alarms at first, but not any longer, but the thermometer is very good and seems to be very accurate as well. I hope this helps.

My reason for getting a second Maverick ET73 over the NuTemp is that the NuTemp requires removal of 4 screws on the backside to turn the unit on and off.

Re turning the NuTemp on and off, I don't know that brand but does it "need" to be turned off?
In Australia in the air conditioning trade we have the Digitherm that runs for years left on with a few AAA bateries.
I'm just thinking that, is turning it off and on not necessary?

Well I ordered my Maverick ET73.... Amazon says it won't ship for 1-2 weeks.... a lot of other sites are out of stock too... guess I will just have to be patient... thanks for everyone's input..

Ralph, just reordered a new ET73. I burned out(literally) my other one after 4 years. If you can live with some of the limitations it's a great unit. I believe you can order longer probes for the unit. I have two food probes, one for meats on the top rack and another for meats on the bottom.

Originally posted by Mick N:
I'm just thinking that, is turning it off and on not necessary?
Mick, I agree, it's not necessary to turn it off after every use. I just take out the 4 screws when the rechargeable batteries drain down. Put 3 charged AAA's back in and I'm good to go. Been doing it that way for 6+ years now. My polder timer/probe temp unit doesn't turn off either. No Big deal IMO.

I FINALLY got email notification from Amazon that my Maverick ET 73 shipped Fri July 31 and I will have it this Tuesday... Long wait, but I think it will be worth it.... Nobody else had it in stock either....

Ralph, I got mine earlier in the summer and had to wait some. But i have to say it was well worth it. Enjoy

Thanks Kevin,
One side benefit for me is; I bought a cheap wireless from WalMart... so now I will have a 3rd probe for IT on lower rack, if I ever use the lower rack
icon_biggrin.gif

I love the surface area on the 22.5 sooooo much.

I have a Polder therm with a fat end on the probe that measures cooker temp as well similar to the Maverick. I wanted the Maverick but I guess I was being cheap, however the Polder has worked great. The only downside is the lack of remote sensor, but I suppose I could use the exercise to actually walk over and look at the smoker rather than just sit in my recliner and check the temps...

Back