Lunch on the road - Famous Dave's in Meridian Idaho

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
We were pulling into Meridian ID around 9pm for a job the next day & we landed at a Famous Dave's (it was between BBQ & Italian, BBQ won).

This picture won't do it justice as the brisket had already been served, but it was still pretty impressive sitting there on the garbage can lid.

We had a couple of drinks - I had an Angry Orchard cider from the tap.... I was surprised when the bill came - it was $33 with the drinks, it was listed on the menu for $34.... no coupon needed.

Sure, the ribs were sauced & FOTB, but what the hell.... the slaw was OK, the beans were really good.

edit: sure made me want to cook another brisket

1907840_10202856693200283_6478148158146713380_n.jpg

Last edited:
Probably different franchisees... but same concept I'd imagine... I have no idea of their particular structure but I'm somewhat familiar with other chains. I've only eaten @ Famous Dave's a handful of times, and while I'd prefer a smaller joint I've tried (only one of several smaller restaurants - plenty of them have been sub-par), or my own (or friends/family) cooking.... Famous Dave's did not let us down!

He was a guest in the Q & A section a while back, I enjoyed putting a face behind the name:

http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?119-Q-amp-A-with-Famous-Dave-Anderson

>>>>Edit: I probably got a little sidetracked, but if you're wondering if I'd recommend it, that's tough :) this is a BBQ website and there are some pretty serious folks here (probably you too!).

I'd say Yes, it's a good deal, especially if you go on Tuesday, 'cause the drinks are on Dave! I started enjoying the ribs, then critiquing them, and then I thought WTH, this is good!

There were lots of leftovers, and given the choice between pork & brisket, that was no decision for me since I've made pulled pork so many times myself. Their sauces are all really pretty good too- I bought them in 2000/2001, & I didn't eat at their restaurant until 2004/2005. Give it a shot and you can blame me if it's not up to your standards.....just go in with low expectations and then there's no way you'll be upset with me :)

Last edited:
I agree, it's tough to compete with home made & tweaked to our preferences. It's probably pretty easy to satisfy the unwashed masses though.

The worst restaurant BBQ I've had is at a local place that's gotten a little attention, Pat's BBQ. It's nothing special, I've eaten there a few times; the last time I was there a friend ordered a slab of baby back ribs and was served undercooked (probably 170F internal, NO pullback) Spares! Junk! "try it" as an uncooked spare was slid onto my plate. blech :)

Check out the Q&A with Famous Dave though sometime when you have a minute to kill, you can see a guy like you or me whose idea spread.

I've been fortunate enough to travel all over heck's half acre and there simply are no chains that produce good BBQ. Even places with two or three locations go to pot fast. Dave\s might work for the masses, but if I want BBQ, I want real BBQ. BTW about the only place I've found in NA with multi locations that makes decent BBQ is Goode Company. And even there they push the envelope.

....yeah, dickies, goodwood, they're about the same. & it's always so expensive for so little, that's one thing that was good about this "feast for 2", there had to be 8 slices of brisket that was probably as good as I've done (I'm hanging my head in shame lol), hardly touched the fries/wedges, and left half the chicken & the cornbread untouched. For $12 per serving, no complaints.

I went to KCBS CBJ class with Dave at the Jack a few years ago. Great guy. Started cooking with a trash can in his backyard. Hence the trash can lid.

I've been to the one in VA. Not bad. Not the best but not bad. Don't know that I've ever had bad BBQ. Just some are better than others. When I'm on the road it'll definitely more than do.

Last edited:
I have eaten famous daves a few times and it isn't bad. The one place i have gone to that i am a big fan of is Hard Eights in the Dallas area. When i used to travel there for work i would eat there every night, then go to my hotel and sleep like a baby in my meat coma :)

Its got to be tough to run a BBQ restaurant with a menu with variety and have it all ready all the time. Now make it a chain
with the added variable of different operators and it gets to be even more difficult. Famous Daves has never served me a meal
that I did not like, and I wish that I could say the same about Sweet Baby Ray's. But I can't. I have tried SBR's 4 or 5 times, as
I like their sauce a lot, but they seem to have not yet figured out that it is better to say that they are out of something rather
than serve a customer dried out chicken, or ribs, or brisket. So I will continue to eat at Famous Daves. It is very good for what it is.

Back