Older Summit in Houston - $200

Yep. Summits are great but they can be a tad bit expensive to restore depending on what is needed. You definitely want to check the front and back of the firebox as they aren't cast aluminum and both are prone to rusting. Also pay close attention to the flavorizer bars. For Genesis grills, this isn't a big deal as they are $30 - $50 if you know where to look. For a 6 burner Summit, they are $120 or more. Don't be overly concerned with surface rust on them. Just be sure that they are still very solid and aren't crumbling away.

All and all, you might end up putting a decent chunk of change into it, but it's a more expensive grill. I have a total of about $600 into the one that I am doing, but then again, it's a $2500 grill.

Yep. Summits are great but they can be a tad bit expensive to restore depending on what is needed. You definitely want to check the front and back of the firebox as they aren't cast aluminum and both are prone to rusting. Also pay close attention to the flavorizer bars. For Genesis grills, this isn't a big deal as they are $30 - $50 if you know where to look. For a 6 burner Summit, they are $120 or more. Don't be overly concerned with surface rust on them. Just be sure that they are still very solid and aren't crumbling away.

All and all, you might end up putting a decent chunk of change into it, but it's a more expensive grill. I have a total of about $600 into the one that I am doing, but then again, it's a $2500 grill.

I think this is overkill for my needs. I need something like the Q3200 just for those days I don't want to get the Performer out. haha although it sure would look good on the patio! LOL

I'd keep an eye out on CL for a Genesis Silver/Gold B or C. IF you want to be forward thinking, there's a guy on Houston CL right now selling replacement burner tubes, porcelain grates and flavorizer bars for stupidly cheap. Might make sense to pick up all 3 of them now while waiting for a grill to pop up.

Flavorizers #7536 $29

Grates #7525 $22

Burner tube set #7508 $13.

Normally, I'd advise anyone to go with stainless steel flavorizers (from RCPlanebuyer) and either stainless or cast iron grates, but at those prices, it kind of changes things.

Alternatively, you could take a look at this grill and ask the guy for pics of the insides.

http://houston.craigslist.org/for/4690746356.html

Back