Re-useable Crutch Pans?

Clay Dawon

Hey,
I've tried both wrapping meat in foil or placing in one time use foil pans with foil over the top, and prefer the pans because there's less mess unwrapping the meat. Instead of using the foil pans once then recycling, I wonder if there are any suggestions for a re-useable pan that would fit a WSM 18? I looked for lasagna pans, but they seemed way too small or way too big.

Thanks,
Clay

Hi Clay, I'm not a big fan of disposable pans (I do use them on occasion), so I mostly use a small baking pan in my 18.5. I also have a casserole dish that works quite well. Glass or ceramic bakeware is fine. If it can handle the oven, the WSM isn't going to do any harm. Just don't drop it! :eek: I've not tried it, but even a sauce pot would work well. It depends on the size of the meat going in. Hope this helps! linda

One more thought! Cast iron works really good. I've put my Le Creuset in there witn no probems at all. linda

Some 13"x9" metal pans fit depending on the width of the top flange. Take a tape measure and check the diagonal, if it's 17" or under your good.

Tim

I use 1/2 steam table pans which I get from BJ's. A package of 30 is under $8, and I usually get at least 5 or 6 uses out of each one (with a thorough cleaning between uses, of course). I mostly use them for pork butts, and that size will easily hold an 8-9 lb. butt.

Hotels. Not the sleep places but the stainless pans used in restaurants. I get them at used kitchen places for 5-10 bucks each. You can get lids for them and racks as well. Awesome things. They will last you a lifetime.

Last edited:
THANKS for all the great suggestions! I'm now on the hunt for 1/2 steam table pans or hotel pans. You won't believe that a work mate of mine offered me a large dutch oven but I passed on it. However, a good friend picked it up, so I figure I'm storing my dutch oven in his garage :). Brisket on deck for the weekend!

Back