WSM 22 problem

Ron Wiley

I on just my second cook and have pit temp problems. I'm trying to cook a turkey at 320*.
I lit a half chimney of Kingsford and dumped it at the edge of the full charcoal ring right where the Guru 25 cfm fan is mounted.
With all openings in the bottom closed off except for the Guru fan mounting tube, the pit temp stalled at 260*. I opened one of the other vents to 100% which got me up to 290*. This is at the 2 hour mark. I opened the third vent by 50% which has me up to 300*.
The outside temp is 40* with no wind.
THE QUESTION:
1) Should I have expected different results?
2) Will a Guru fan work using their adapter mounting sleeve (which seems to be a choke air flow a good bit)?
3) Should a 5/8" hole be cut into the bottom bowl so the fan can be directly mounted?

I have always used 2 of these Guru fans on a Meadow Creek 250 driving a wood fire with no problem. It seems strange that the WSM 22 has trouble coming up to temp in the above conditions.
Comments please.

Update;
At the 3 hour mark the top temp was 300* with a fan in one vent (remaining 3 holes closed off with foil), vent 2 wide open and vent 3 at 50%.
The temp started dropping off down to 285*.
Opened the door to find the charcoal burned down by 2/3's or more. Added 2 + chimney's worth unlit and opened vent 3 to 100%.
I'm really disappointed in the lack of heat and short burn time.
I could see the bottom of the bird through the open door and the chunk of apple wood has put a very nice color to the skin.

Something doesn't sound right.

1) Yes, I would expect the temp. control to be no issue.
2) It should work no problem. Granted I use the 50 cfm, but I'm confident the 25 can do the trick considering I put the damper 50% shut on my fan anyway.
3) I would advise not cutting a hole into the unit.

Frankly, I would try filling the charcoal bowl full, & instead of putting the lit coals on the side the fan is mounted, drop them right smack dab in the middle of the bowl.

I usually leave a vacant space in the middle of the charcoal grate using a coffee can & then plop in the lit coals. I have never have a single issue with temperature control in any weather conditions using this method with the guru.

Thanks for your comments Mike. From all I have read about maintaining temps and long cooks on the WSM, I was thinking that maybe that just applied to the 18" model.
I didn't mention that I filled the pan with water.
The charcoal ring was full with just a half chimney lit and placed on the fan side.
I'm coming up on 5 hours and the temp still never went above 300*. I expect the bird to be good, but getting there leaves me very disappointed with WSM. It may go up for sale.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Wiley:

I didn't mention that I filled the pan with water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well there's your problem. You are using all the energy of the charcoal to try and cook at high temps, but with water in the pan all the energy is being consumed by the water. The Guru directions clearly say to leave the water pan empty, just foil lined with a few aluminum foil balls in there for a air cuhsion.
icon_wink.gif

Next time I cook at higher temps I'll try the no-water thing; maybe bricks.
The real kicker was the turkey. Smoking is a nasty thing to do to a turkey. It must be a thing for people who can't cook a really good bird in an oven.
My 15 1/2# bird cooked at +/- 300* for 5 hours. Deep in the wing joint it was a little tight (not 100% cooked), but the rest of it was ok. I pulled all the meat off all at once, setting some aside for dinner after cleaning up.
The truth is I lost my appetite after carving it up.
My wife, or I, cook way more superior turkey in the kitchen...no comparison.
I now have a big pile of good sandwich meat that can be carried by mayo, onions, lettuce, etc.
I may try smoking a breast strictly for sammies in the future.
That was my last whole turkey. To me it's like cooking on you pick-up engine; it can be done, but the results are less than great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Wiley:
Smoking is a nasty thing to do to a turkey. It must be a thing for people who can't cook a really good bird in an oven. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow.

Smoking is a nasty thing to do to a turkey. It must be a thing for people who can't cook a really good bird in an oven. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll fit in well here. Maybe you did something wrong?

Only the poor workman blames his tools.

I suppose the water pan could be an issue, but I've never not filled it with water, and have yet had an issue with temp.

Also, using half a lit chimney is a bit excessive. I start with only 8 lit coals on warm days, and max of 12 lit on cold days. Perhaps half the lit chimney is burning all tour fuel quickly?

Make sure the damper on the fan is open as well.

Forgot to add that you may want to try filling the water pan with boiling water. That will help get the temps up. I use boiling water when I smoke in the winter.

If you want temps so high, why are you using water in the pan? I don't get it. You even have a guru.

You wouldn't believe how my drum smoker will cook with NO pan, NO guru, LUMP, decent weather conditions and little peeking....whether I'm shooting for 235 or 335.

I've just always used water for all cooks regardless of high or low heat. I've found that it actually helps with temp volatility and meat moisture. At least that's what I tell myself. It's never caused me an issue with temp control.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike_M:
I've just always used water for all cooks regardless of high or low heat. I've found that it actually helps with temp volatility and meat moisture. At least that's what I tell myself. It's never caused me an issue with temp control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mike, of course the water pan helps with temp volatility, which is important for BARBECUE. However, the water pan is no help in reaching poultry roasting temps well above 300. You're just wasting charcoal, and you'll get crispier skin without the water pan. In other words, volatility is a non-issue with hi-temp poultry cooking because you're already cooking hot, and you need to be around to check on it since it's liable to be done quicker than you think.

I completely agree with you that it doesn't really add anything. I've just grown accustomed to it, and have the whole process down pat using water in the pan with fine result. I'm of the mindset if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

For the record, I cook chicken above 300, and I don't use my guru for chicken. I just get the coals ripping hot, open all vents and the side door, and let the wsm fire away. I find the water helps keep the temps under check.

I'm surprised and disappointed that the 22" unit will not go above 300* with water in the pan and wide open.
Maybe all my expectations came from reading about the 18" unit and thought the 22" would be the same.
The water pan serves to keep a moist air and product, and in my opinion, should be used.
The other disappointment is I had to reload charcoal on a 5 hour cook.
I felt like I was cooking on a Brinkman.

The water pan serves to keep a moist air and product, and in my opinion, should be used.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Water adds nothing to the meat being cooked. You can not add moisture to a piece of meat that you are heating up and driving moisture out of!
icon_wink.gif
The water in the water pan serves as a heat sink for keeping the temps low, and nothing more, and just eats up charcoal if you are trying to cook at high temps.
icon_wink.gif

IMHO... The WSM cooks much like a crude (this is what makes it so much fun!) convection oven... warm air "moving" around food helping the radiant oven heat cook it. The WSM enables us to add smoke and/or moisture to this "moving" air if we so desire....the smoke adding the really cool flavor and the moisture helping keep the food from drying out quite as much. As an example: If you have been in the desert in 100* heat it seems as if you're not sweating (you are!) because your skin tends to dry out... but if you're in a tropical, highly humid climate with the same 100* heat you can't seem to ever stay dry! People living in the desert tend to have more "weathered" skin over time than do tropical dwelling folks.... Keeping all this in mind, cooking with moist air will tend to help food retain more of its own natural moisture. Soooooo... I use some water in the pan for everything I smoke EXCEPT poultry...in my family we all like relatively crispy skin on yardbird,turkey, game hens, etc. .... and to help with WSM efficientcey(sp), I start with scalding hot water EXCEPT for salmon, beef tenderloin, prime rib etc because I want to get enuf smokin time to impart that cool WSM flavor :) Check-6, Rondo

Back