It's time to plant garlic!

Mary Teal

TVWBB Super Fan
Don't know about you guys, but I go through alot of garlic through out the year.
Just thought I'd let you know, it's that time of year again to get your garlic and onions in the ground,
or as I do, in huge pots of soil for next spring's harvest.
There's nothing like fresh garlic, and a batch of roasted garlic butter on fresh out of the oven sour dough is to die for! Even make compound butter for your steaks! YUMMO!

Last edited:
Go down to your favorite place to buy your summer crop plants, or hardware store that sells plants and seeds, and pick up a bag of garlic sets.. you get over 100 or so cloves in a bag, for like $1.99. And just poke a finger hole in soil, and plant straight side down... I use big black tree pots, and plant in those, so it's easier to dig up in the spring.. it's the easiest plant to keep around...Also, if you have some garlic in the house that you bought at grocery store, and it's started to get a green stem on it, by all means, plant it...green stem up, of course... I planted some of those today..
Good luck...

do you store them outside during the winter? .....a quick search shows Eugene, OR to have milder winters than SLC, UT

Clint, yes! Last December we experienced not only a heavy snow but over a week of -10 below zero..
Not only was my garlic not fazed by the extreme cold, neither was my green onions, white and red onions, or my parsley, chives or shallots!
In fact, ALOT of my herbs were untouched as well. I was surprised and decided to plant a triple amount this fall.

Last edited:
our winters are really quite mild until the middle-to-end of January, then it gets down to 18F, sometimes dips into the single digits or so but it mellows out slowly over the next 2 months until spring.

I remember reading about this a couple years ago,,,,,,,,

http://tipnut.com/grow-potatoes/

Mary, when do you pull them up and how do you process and store them for use until the next year? This thread might turn into a garlic course. :)

Rita

Mary, when do you pull them up and how do you process and store them for use until the next year? This thread might turn into a garlic course. :)

Rita
Rita, depending when you plant, within a couple weeks you'll see green sprouting up.. mine are already about a foot tall, since I planted some last spring.. if you plan now, your garlic will be ready to pull in 7-8 months when all the green foliage has turned yellow and brown, and looks as if it's dying. At that point, you'll pull it up and cut the roots, and tie it up with string, and dry it out for a couple weeks..
I've never heard that it needs a hard freeze..but do know, freeze doesn't bother it.
I plant mine in big black plastic pots that trees come in, and I find those at my local plastic recycling place. Nurseries have them too.. If you go on you tube and search how to grow garlic, there is some good videos that walk you through it. I would link one here, but I'm on my kindle right now, and it won't show me the url to copy and paste here.

Clint, Garlic is one of the easiest to plant and is very forgiving.. it's like, plant it, and forget it for several months..
I try to plant a early spring batch to be ready in late fall early winter, and another batch in the fall for late spring harvest.
Garlic will keep for at least 6 months if you store it in a open container. Try planting some..you won't regret it! I swear, fresh garlic is the nothing like you buy in the store...it's so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Haner View Post

Garlic needs a hard freeze to grow properly. Putting mine in next weekend

Dennis, I've never heard that... but will take your word for it..

Well in Gilroy California which is one of the largest garlic growing regions in the country it almost never freezes and they have great garlic.

Thanks, Mary. That sounds like a plan. I'll check out YouTube too. Thanks for the advice.

Rita

Thanks for the tips Mary!
My first time growing garlic, using one of my wife's flower pots.

IMGP1682.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Haner View Post

Garlic needs a hard freeze to grow properly. Putting mine in next weekend

Well in Gilroy California which is one of the largest garlic growing regions in the country it almost never freezes and they have great garlic.

in warmer regions, garlic is planted in the spring - When we lived in Seattle, we planted in March - Now we live in a colder region so we'll be planting soon. We're going to go for it either this weekend or next -

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Mary!
My first time growing garlic, using one of my wife's flower pots.

IMGP1682.JPG

Bob, their so cute! Just wait till spring and you'll have beautiful heads of garlic!
If when you're cooking, and find some of your garlic has sprouted, like I do, once the furnace comes on for the winter, go ahead and break the head apart, and plant those bulbs as well, so you have a steady supply of garlic ready at all times of the year! It truly is a set it and forget plant.

The one thing I have found different in starting garlic in the spring versus fall is you have to manually keep the pot watered all summer, where as the fall planting, mother nature does it for you. My spring plantings have about a month longer to go, then they will be ready to pull and dried. I was a bit late on my spring planting, (May) so I will have to buy a bunch of garlic in order to make my Xmas gifts of garlic herb compound butters to give to friends for holiday gifts.

Back