where do you store charcoal and supplies?

Bill Thompson

TVWBB Member
I See A Lot Of Charcoal Being StockEd. Where And How Do You Keep It So It's Useable? Is It Climate Controlled Our In AN Outside Shed? Mine Currently Stays In An Enclosed Carport So I Keep Very Little.

I got a couple small (15 X 24 inch) plastic pallets from a customer and keep my charcoal in the garage off the floor. Smoke wood,I have a metal chest outside that I keep it in.

I use plastic Brute 33 gallon garbage cans to keep my charcoal bags in. I have one for Kingsford briquets and another for lump charcoal. I also have a large metal scoop in each can, so I can just scoop needed charcoal into chimney starter.
I don't store tons of charcoal like some of others, as I live 5 minutes away from the Kingsford factory, and they have broken bag sales almost every week.

Glad I read this post. I keep my grills on a mat off the concrete to prevent rust. Never thought to keep the charcoal on a mat in the garage to keep moisture at bay.

right here ▼ in the garage (and more in the garden shed)

SD10f.jpg

I'm new to the whole charcoal thing. I picked up 200lbs of Kingsford during one of the sales and the bags are currently sitting up off the floor in my garage on some Gorilla shelves. The garage is not climate controlled in any way. Should it be ok like that ? Do I need to store it in sealable bins ? Is there a "shelf life" so to speak for it ?

SD10f.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I thought I had a lot of smoke wood Jim! WOW!! I have a bucket (each) of red and whit oak, maple, and two of hickory. I have 2 30 gallon tubs each filled with pecan and apple..and 12 bags of KBB I picked up from lowes a few weeks ago all in the basement. Never thought to get the KBB up off the floor.. Looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend!
Tim

@DaveW,you should be fine. Mine isn't climate controlled either. So long as it's off the concrete. Moisture can wick up out of the concrete and ruin the briquettes.

Tim
those barrels are not full, in fact, one is empty
i just haven't moved the empties away
i usually store wood chunks in 5 gallon pails

this Is Why I Started ThIs Thread. Thanks For All The Responses. I Just Got Thru Building An outdoor Shed For The Grill And SmokeR And WaNt To Move The Charcoal Out There But wasn't Sure If It Would Be Bad For It. SoundS Like It's Moving. It's Great How Much Experience There Is On This Site. Love The Scoop And Bucket Idea.

Back