TQ to pink salt ratio

tom galli

TVWBB Member
The Charcuterie recipe for Canadian bacon uses pink salt, kosher salt and sugar. I only have TQ, how much TQ should I use to replace the 2 salts.

Dry cure? See this...
"You'll need salt as well plus a little more sugar in addition to the brown sugar already noted. Go with 1/4 t pink salt plus 1/2 t sugar plus 2.5 t table salt per pound of meat, plus the additional flavorings, if using."

That's a wet cure.

Go with 2 Tbls TQ in place of the pink salt called for. Keep the salt and sugar amounts as is.

Good Morning Tom -

Here's my advice; use at your own risk!

So I was doing a bit of research on this for you to try and figure this out. After doing some searching for the exact ingredient list for the TQ, I came up with:

Salt
Sugar
0.5% Sodium Nitrite (preservative)
0.5% Sodium Nitrate (preservative)
Propylene Glycol

Now the salt is obvious, sugar is to counteract some of the saltiness and balance it out, sodium nitrite is the main preservative in all things cured, propylene glycol is what Morton claims is the "bonding" ingredient so the mix distributes evenly, which brings us to the Sodium Nitrate. Sodium Nitrate is like a "slow-release" version of Sodium Nitrite, and is commonly only used for slow air-cured meats (read "raw"), like hams, salamis, etc. I'm boggled why they would put that in there, but this complicated mix puts you in the uncomfortable position of having to use their recipes unless you want to chance it. What is important to get right is the Sodium Nitrite because too much will make you sick, and too little will not be sufficient to protect the meat from botulism and other bad stuff while in the smoker.

The information that I can give you is that the Pink Salt that they call for in the recipe contains 93.75% salt and 6.25% Sodium Nitrite. Since the Canadian Bacon recipe calls for 1.5 oz of pink salt (8 tsp), 6.25% of the 8 tsp of Pink Salt would yield 1.28 tsp of Sodium Nitrite, if you were able to measure that out directly. 1.28 tsp of 128 tsp total mix required (((1.5 kosher + 1 cups sugar) x 16 tbsp/per cup) x 3 tsp/per tbsp) + 8 tsp pink salt) is 1% of the total mix, and since the TQ is 0.5% Sodium Nitrite and 0.5% Sodium Nitrate, that roughly adds up to 1% of the mix as preservative ingredients. Therefore, by that rationale, if the recipe calls for 128 tsp (2.67 cups) of mix, I would use 2.67 cups of the TQ and call it good. However, personally I would go a tiny bit heavier on that to account for the added Propylene Glycol, as well as the fact that not all of the Sodium Nitrate will convert to Sodium Nitrite within the amount of time that you will cure the pork loin.

Let me know how it comes out, and try to do some pictures too!

The operative curing agent in a cure is salt.

Though I agree with your numbers I don't think it is necessary to go that high for CB. That's a heavy amount of salt for a gallon of water. Since CB is hot-smoked and is also taken to a safe internal, I don't see the need for that much TQ. The pink salt in the brine is mostly for color and flavor issues, not really for safety. Additionally, smoke is a bactericide and is bacteriostatic.

Injecting the brine, if possible, then placing the meat in the brine to cover would insure good distribution. Barring that possibility curing for a longer time would help color throughout the loin.

If going with the higher amount of TQ I would suggest adding additional sugar (TQ doesn't have much) and would suggest, after curing, trimming off a piece of meat and frying it in a neutral oil then tasting for salt. If too salty, as it might well be, soaking in cold water in the fridge for a few hours, changing the water once or twice will help decrease the salt before smoking.

Thanks guys, I think i will try Kevins TQ cure from the attached post in Marcs reply. My past CBs have been a little salty, I want this one to be just right it will be coming up north for the annual "Boys of August" fishing trip along with 5lb of belly bacon. I will let you know.

Kevin you're probably right on the saltiness for the TQ; while I have somewhat of a higher tolerance for salt, I realize that not everyone else does. My main concern is the amount of Sodium Nitrite/Pink salt for food safety; as it states in Ruhlman's book (pages 74-75), "smoke has negligible preservative effects" and "smoke is not used to preserve foods the way drying and salting are".

Additionally, the recipe that Tom was referencing instructs the cook to "hot-smoke" the pork, which by their reference is from 180-200 degrees, for 2-3 hours. While cooking the meat to safe internal temperatures will kill any chance of Trichinosis, Botulism thrives when meat is exposed to internal temperatures in the Danger Zone (between 41-135 degrees) over long periods of time in a low-oxygen environment such as the one that exists within your smoker. Sodium Nitrite inhibits growth of negative bacterial activity especially Botulism, the "Sausage Disease".
icon_smile.gif

That being said, for me what distinguishes Canadian Bacon most from a smoke-roasted loin of pork without Pink Salt in the cure is that piquant, hammy flavor and of course the rosy hue... But when it comes down to it Tom, you are more than welcome to cure the pork however you wish; after all there are a million different ways to skin a cat. I just don't want you to get sick!
icon_cool.gif

Though Ruhlman is correct that "smoke has negligible preservative effects" and "smoke is not used to preserve foods the way drying and salting are", smoke is both a bactericide and a bacteriostat. It cannot be relied on, however, to preserve food, i.e., make the food last longer than it would were it not smoked (though, correctly stored, it usually seems to help), and certainly cannot be relied on to kill possible pathogens. That's where curing comes in. Regardless, I am not advocating here for no pink salt as it is important to both the color and flavor, and its presence does reduce the chance of C. botulinum outgrowth.

Perhaps I should not make this assumption (or should specify it) but Canadian bacon, like belly bacon, is meant to be cooked before consumption, i.e., cooked again, whether in a frying pan, on a sheetpan, whatever. Though C. bot spores are heat stabile, C. bot toxin - the thing that causes botulism - is heat labile.

Of course, as for all smoked foods destined to be stored - and especially for smoked, cured products, rapid chilling after smoking is the order of the day.

[Note to tom: Whatever you do, test the saltiness of the meat after it has cured, but before smoking, with the method I note upthread, i.e., trimming off a piece, cooking it...etc.]

Thanks again guys, I always test before I smoke and have had to soak bacon a few times. We will give this a go on the weekend its only a small one 3.5lb, if it's not up to par no biggie. i have my belly bacon recipe perfected using TQ in a dry cure, with CB I have been trying a wet cure. I think I will leave it the brine 48 hours instead of 72, that should reduce the saltiness.

Hi Guys, just to follow up my cure was 300g salt, 160g TQ, 100g brown sugar and a hand full of peppercorns (maybe 20) to a gallon of water. Left in cure for 36 hours. Smoked it this morning over maple with a small piece of hickory for about 2 hours started at 175 and slowly crept to about 240 wnen it hit 140 internal. It is really nice but still a touch salty, the brown sugar comes through nicely and the wood combo is good. My wife tells me I am a saltaphobic and there may be some truth to that. When I first tried it I was dissapointed but with a freshly picked tomato from the garden and some lettuce and mayo on a toasted bagle it passed with flying colors. Thanks again for your insight. Sorry no pics, my camera is a casualty in the water in the basement fiasco the other night!

Right on Tom! Personally I don't mind a bit of salt, especially in things like that that you are only eating a little of anyway. Also, the ends tend to be saltier then the middle...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
Sorry, but what's TQ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tenderquick, which is a pre mixed curing agent that in some areas is easier to find than pink salt, at least at normal retail outlets.

As an aside - at one point I did a 3.5 pound chunk of belly with 1/4 cup tenderquick and 1/2 cup grade B maple syrup and it came out really nice, and you can't get much easier than that.

Back