Proud New Owner

Ken_K

TVWBB Super Fan
My wife and I split our tax refund this year, she get's a new laptop and I got a Q 320! I put it together last night but found that I didn't have any gas left in the tank from my old gasser -- so I didn't get to fire it up yet.
icon_frown.gif
But I will get a fill up tonight and be ready to roll. I can't wait to try it out! Here are a few pics I took of it.

http://www.facebook.com/home.p...id=1053019277&ref=nf

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
You made a rookie mistake by leaving an empty propane tank. But congratulations on the Q-320 anyway.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!

Well I made the mistake of assuming the tank still had gas -- and you know what you get when you assume. I hadn't used the old Charbroil junker in a year or so and Thought I had about 1/2 - 3/4 of a tank left. Oh well, live and learn.

I too am a proud new Q owner. I had decided that in order to enjoy more grilled food this summer I needed something that let me start cooking quickly after getting home from work. Being impatient but cheap I searched Craigslist. The first one- a Q 200 on the folding cart was for sale 3 miles away for only $100. Unfortunately I was about an hour late in replying to the ad. Next up was a Q220 with the fixed cart for $150- 45 miles away. I jumped on it and was enjoying grilled chicken, corn, and rib-eyes that afternoon.

Very happy with it so far. We've done a butterflied chicken, pizza, tortillas, bacon, pancakes, and more chicken. The cast iron grate does a good job of searing even though the burner isn't super hot. I appreciate the Weber standard of preventing flare-ups by restricting airflow.

The one thing lacking so far is smoke flavor. I'm going to experiment with wood chips- possibly just putting them on the grill over the hottest part of the burner. Otherwise they will need to go under the grill in a chip box or foil.

My BBQ/Grill count is now 5, all Webers: WSM, Little Joe, 22" Kettle, Gas Go-Anywhere, Q-220.

Guys
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Weber Q. Here is a link to one of my posts regarding the Indirect Set-up on the Q Indirect

As you can see it is easy to do and with this method and direct grilling you can do just about anything.

Regards

For smoke flavor on my Q-220 (or any gasser), I try to add some smoke flavor through my seasoning (NO! Not liquid smoke!) but stuff like chipotle powder, smoked paprika and bacon. Its not the same as chunks of hardwood, but the flavoring is subtle and works nicely.

Phil Hartcher is the master of Q-grilling and every idea I've gotten from him has resulted in a fabulous meal. Most recently, cooked some nice pork chops - seared then moved to the other side of the Q using his indirect set up. Rave reviews from the crowd!

Enjoy - but beware - cooking on the Q is addictive!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Phil Hartcher is the master of Q-grilling and every idea I've gotten from him has resulted in a fabulous meal. Most recently, cooked some nice pork chops - seared then moved to the other side of the Q using his indirect set up. Rave reviews from the crowd! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for the kind words Pat it is humbling to receive them.

Smoking on the Q is not all that effective because of the higher airflow loss at grill level. It can be achieved but you need to generate more smoke that you would in a kettle. You can get some subtle smoke flavours by making a couple of foil packs using dry wood shavings or chips - place the foil packs on the grill in the centre one behind the other when you start to preheat the grill. By the time the grill is preheated the foil packs should have started to smoke place the meat on either side of the foil packs - the smoke has to flow over the meat to vent out to atmosphere. (Don’t forget to put a few holes in the foil packs to let the smoke out)

The other method is to make a foil pack and place it over the igniter bracket after the Q is alight. Place the igniter end of the Q into the wind so that the smoke flows over the food.
I get a slight smoky flavour by brushing the meat with oil before cooking, when this hits the hot grill it generates some smoke as it caramelizes/sears the meat.

Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Guys
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Weber Q. Here is a link to one of my posts regarding the Indirect Set-up on the Q Indirect

As you can see it is easy to do and with this method and direct grilling you can do just about anything.

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Phil. I think I have read every post in the Q forum when I found out I could get one. I am on the lookout for a rack I can use on top of the foil for the indirect setup. I know I'm going to be happy with the Q just for the fact that now on weeknights I can grill quickly and easily after a long day at work with minimal fuss.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks Phil. I think I have read every post in the Q forum when I found out I could get one. I am on the lookout for a rack I can use on top of the foil for the indirect setup. I know I'm going to be happy with the Q just for the fact that now on weeknights I can grill quickly and easily after a long day at work with minimal fuss </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken
On my Genesis for larger indirect cooks I use a grill rack from an oven and two pieces of 3/4" pipe, you could get one of those grill racks and weld some feet to it.

Cheers

Ken-

I found some wire "cooling racks" at the local Dollar Store. They have "feet" at each corner that raise the rack off of the cooking grate a bit, allowing air to flow underneath the meat. They seem to work real well and the price was right - $1.00 each!

Pat

Hey Pat, Thanks, that sounds like just the trick! I am headed to the Dollar General soon anyway so I will look for those there.

Ken - I've gotten some really nice grill marks on my Q-220 by letting the grill continue to heat for about 5 more minutes AFTER it gets up to grill temp. My theory is that the cast iron grates continue to absorb heat and that it takes a few minutes more for the grates to actually be at the temp shown on the thermometer.

I may be full of malarkey, but I got some good grill marks! I also make sure that the grates have been wiped down with oil and when I put the meat on the grill, I use my tongs to press down a little bit to make sure that the entire surface of the meat is touching the hot grate.

You may not have gotten the grill marks that you want, but those steaks look marvelous!

Pat

Thanks Pat, another problem I think with the grill marks was the steak seasoning I used. The spice pieces were so big that they prevented the meat from actually getting good contact with the grate and then when I turned them the seasoning all stuck to the grate. I think I'll just go with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper next time.

I really do love this grill though. I did some basic burgers and dogs over the weekend and they were great. Tonight I am doing pork chops, and probably chicken breasts tomorrow. My kettle will still get plenty of use on the weekends but this thing will get heavily used during the week!

Did some little pork loin chops on the Q320 tonight. Seasoned very simply with seasoned salt and pepper. Preheated for 10 minutes got up over 500 on the thermo, tossed them on for about 4 minutes on the first side, flipped them to the other side of the grill and took the pic. They turned out great, so much flavor from the carmelization of the surface. This is one high performing grill in a small package!

http://www.facebook.com/album....228011&id=1053019277

Back