Long Time Lurker - Now First Time Smoker

Nate C

TVWBB Fan
I would like to thank everyone who has posted in this forum for your advise and wisdom. I read countless posts from rookies and veterans alike and without you, this first smoke would not have been possible. After months of reading and contemplation, I purchased a WSM 18.5 and just completed my first smoke ever. Below are the results.

Decided to go with a 3.62 pound Pork Butt and utilized the "Renowned Mr. Brown" process found in the "cooking topics" portion of this forum.

- Made the rub from scratch (ala Mr Brown) in the morning and night before the smoke, applied a liberal portion of rub to the butt. Butt stored in zip lock bag in fridge over night.
1strub.jpg

- Next morning applied a second portion of the rub saving a little for the sop.
2ndrub.jpg

- Prepared sop (ala Mr Brown) and applied to both sides of butt 1/2 hour before building chimney. Mr. Browns recipe was for 3-4 butts therefore I reduced all measurements to 1/2.
1stbaste.jpg

- Lit 20 briquettes in the chimney and applied to a chamber of unlit briquettes (minion method) that was 3/4 full to maximum. 6 small pieces of hickory placed at different levels. All vents open with no water in pan.

- Dropped butt at 10:00 am
justongril.jpg

- Temperature quickly rose to 270+ and stayed at 250-270 with bottom three vents closed with top vent fully open entire time.

- 12:20 hours, flipped butt and basted with sop 2nd time.

- 4:10 hours, internal temperature of butt was 190 and removed from smoker.
finished.jpg

- Wrapped in foil and placed in heat bag inside of oven for one hour.

- Removed from foil and pulled.
pulledandserved.jpg

My wife and kids (3 teen age boys) absolutely loved the butt. They were blown away something could taste so good on my first try. We have had BBQ several times in Lockhart Tx (Kruez, Blacks) and they said it tasted as good as Blacks!! I think they were being awfully kind to their old man but the point is it turned out wonderful.

I loved the way the butt turned out for my first try. As others have noted with the "Mr Brown" recipe, it was hot, but not too hot. Enough to leave a zing on your lips. The bark was full of flavor and a favorite of my 16 year old.

For my next smoke, I will opt for a rub/sop a little sweeter. For your first try, the "Mr Brown" method is perfect because it holds your hand through out the entire process.

Hope you enjoy the pics and again, thanks to all..this was a blast and I am hooked.

Great job Nate... I just finished dinner (some left over smoked ribs) but seeing your pics I got hungry again! You should have called me. Tnx for sharing...

joe

That looks good!

One piece of often-repeated advice: take out the lower rack if you're not cooking something on it, just so you don't have to clean it for no reason.
icon_smile.gif

Great job. You'd never know it was your first.

Couple of pointers (not on your cook):

Take that lower grate out of your WSM. No need to clean something you didn't use. Alternatively, put more meat in that WSM and use the lower grate. You'll find that the extra work to cook more meat at one time is worth it. It doesn't take much more charcoal and the clean up is about the same - may as well throw a couple or four pork butts on that WSM and share with family and friends or vacuum pack and freeze.

Put some kind of pan under your WSM. I'm not sure with the new models and the heat shield, but with the old model that I have, there are times when a smokey, nasty, liquid will drip out of the vents. It wouldn't look too good on your cement.

You need something to set your lid on. It will leave a mark on whatever you set it on after you use it a couple times. Also, setting it on the cement has the potential to chip the porcelain.

No water - I wish I had learned that sooner. Took a little bit of guts to go waterless off the bat. Good one!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Great job. You'd never know it was your first.

Couple of pointers (not on your cook):

Take that lower grate out of your WSM. No need to clean something you didn't use. Alternatively, put more meat in that WSM and use the lower grate. You'll find that the extra work to cook more meat at one time is worth it. It doesn't take much more charcoal and the clean up is about the same - may as well throw a couple or four pork butts on that WSM and share with family and friends or vacuum pack and freeze.

Put some kind of pan under your WSM. I'm not sure with the new models and the heat shield, but with the old model that I have, there are times when a smokey, nasty, liquid will drip out of the vents. It wouldn't look too good on your cement.

You need something to set your lid on. It will leave a mark on whatever you set it on after you use it a couple times. Also, setting it on the cement has the potential to chip the porcelain.

No water - I wish I had learned that sooner. Took a little bit of guts to go waterless off the bat. Good one! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have cooked more but with this being my first, I wanted to keep it simple. Great idea on removing the bottom grate...never thought of that! Ya...laying the cover on the concrete probably wasn't a good idea, especially when my lawn is right next to me.
icon_razz.gif

Thanks for all the feedback..def appreciated.

Looks great!!!

I too am a rookie and after cleaning up the water bowl after my first two cooks, I'm tempted to go waterless.

Did you have any issues with controlling the temps? How was the jump/drop in temp when making adjustments to the vents?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg M.:
Looks great!!!

I too am a rookie and after cleaning up the water bowl after my first two cooks, I'm tempted to go waterless.

Did you have any issues with controlling the temps? How was the jump/drop in temp when making adjustments to the vents? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I expected more problems with the whole process since this was my first time and let me tell you, it was almost effortless.

Due to having no water, the internal temperature seemed to run a little hotter (i'm guessing). Once I got the temperature to 200 after starting the fire, the bottom vents stayed closed the entire time. With the top vent 100 percent open, my temps consistently stayed between 240 and 260 degrees with zero issues.

The first time I took the top off to check the temp. of the butt, I re-opened the bottom vents and the temperature skyrocketed to 300+ within minutes. The remaining times I took the top off, I didn't change any settings and it would quickly get back to 250 range. With no water, I found the adjustments really affected temperature. Remember, I only had one 3.6 pound butt so the temperature moved pretty quickly. My next smoke will probably be four butts therefore I imagine the temperatures will be more stable and I will probably have the lower vents opened to maintain temperature.

Nate, Looks great. Nice first smoke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg M.:
Looks great!!!

Did you have any issues with controlling the temps? How was the jump/drop in temp when making adjustments to the vents? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greg, I've found from suggestions on this forum that you can cover the water pan with aluminum foil (I've found HD 18" Aluminum foil fits just about perfectly). This will make cleanup much easier and you can still add water with it foiled.

Note - I wouldn't put the lid on the grass either. After a few cooks, the lid will be sticky and will pick up dirt and grass. That won't be good.

You said you held 250 with your bottom vents closed. If after a few cooks this is still the case, you probably have air leakage. Check the mid section and see if it's setting in the bowl with no gaps and check your door. To hold 250 on mine, I need one vent about half to 3/4 open. To have all three vents closed means you have virtually no control on your temps.

The WSM will get more air tight as you use it from the "gunk" (that's an official bbq term
icon_biggrin.gif
).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> held 250 with your bottom vents closed...vents closed..no control </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The WSM will run a little hot the first few cooks, due to lack of gunk. Don't worry too much, just be aware of temps/vent settings.

Nice first cook. Take a shot at a brisket - you can do it, and you now know it!

I set my lid on the cooking grate of other grills, and use a Grill Pad to protect the deck from the errant drips/embers.

Back