Anyone Build Their Own Remote/Web BBQ Thermometer?

Tom,

While my WSM runs a Stoker, my PC runs an Arduino... The PC's Arduino monitors and controls the PC's (liquid) cooling system with an interlock to the PC.
(although not BBQ related... Just a couple of D5 pumps in series, a couple of triple 120 radiators in parallel, a couple of inline filters in parallel, a flowmeter, and a couple of thermistors for temperature measurement.)

For an Arduino with Thermocouple input(s), you would need a power supply, readout, thermocouples and thermocouple converters w/ cold junction compensation.
One of your challenges will be to find a thermocouple with lead wires that will withstand the temperature. Also keeping them isolated from ground, ie noise.

Adafruit are good people to deal with !

Bob, I want to figure out how to interface arduino sensors on my pc desktop... I have lots of other project ideas but I'm short on both brainpower and time :) You sound like an engineer

Hi Clint.

If you're powering the arduino via your pc's usb port, you're half way there. Set up the arduino to print your data via its usb/serial port. Whatever program you intend to use would need to read the arduino's serial data stream and process it for your intended use. There are a number of examples on the web of this, such as reading the realtime arduino data into Excel. There's always wireless too, be it bluetooth or wifi.

Some information on comms between the arduino and the pc.

Have been accused of being one... ;) More on the applied end (technologist) than anything.

Bob

Last edited:

Back