Looking for an indoor wok

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
As the subject states, I'm in the market for an indoor wok, gas burners. Most meals will be for 3 - 4 people so I don't need a monster. Any suggestions based on personal use would be greatly appreciated . . . and if I can get it on Amazon.com even better
icon_biggrin.gif

Larry... You looking for a commercial size natural gas burner for wok cooking? Indoors I just cook on an electric range and when I cook for outdoors I use a propane stove or burner from a turkey fryer. I read once that restaurant sized high output burners are not approved by some local building codes for home installations unless safety provisions are met.

Sorry Joe, I could have been clearer; I'm looking for a wok pan that would sit on a gas burner on my kitchen range.

I would recommend anything that fits well, but go with thick uncoated carbon steel and season it properly (similar to cast iron). With a gas cooktop, you could go with a traditional round bottom and a ring, if it fits. Does your cooktop offer a replacement grate wok support? My cooktop is electric glass top so I don't want a ring. I want a flat bottom.

For use on a cooktop, I like a pan handle. A grip handle on the opposite side is also nice to have.

Mine is a 14" flat bottom Joyce Chen uncoated which I use on an electric cooktop:

315P58HDQNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Joyce Chen Pro Chef 14-Inch Flat Bottom Wok uncoated Carbon Steel

Larry living in CA should make it easy to find a wok to suit your needs. Go to an Asian market might be the best bet. Carbon steel is about the best, stay away from non-stick coated, aluminum or stainless varieties. Aluminum conducts heat best and like stainless is apt to discolor over use. For home use an 18 inch dia with a single long handle is about the best like in the pic that Steve sent. All six of my woks(18 inch to 32 inch in diam,) are carbon steel. Properly seasoned they are excellent and never scrub it, just wash and rinse, dry then always reheat and lightly re-season before storage.

joe

And never scrub it, just wash and rinse, dry then always reheat and lightly re-season before storage.

Oh yeah! I should have added that!

One option if you need to scrub is to dry scrub with kosher salt and paper towels, with the salt being an abrasive. Then after cutting most of the stuff out, follow Joe's recommendations. I try to stay light on soap and use cold water to try to protect the seasoning.

Remember to preheat the dry wok good and hot before adding oil to it. Then let the oil heat before adding the food.

A cold wok heated with the oil already in it is like any other pan; stuff will stick.

Thanks for all the tips, I think I'll head over to China Town later today and check things out. For those of you who use these would you recommend a wok ring?

Larry... The primary purpose of the wok ring is to stabilize the round bottomed wok. I read or seen it on a cooking show that it can also concentrate the heat for stove top cooking. Which way it is oriented, smaller diameter on top or below, depended on the diameter of your heat source.

My smaller woks have a small flat surface on the bottom. This way they sit closer to the heat source and not an inch or two higher.

Good luck...

joe

I think I'll head over to China Town later today and check things out.

its the right thing to do. wok cooking is such a specific method you really need the right stuff to pull it off. high carbon steel is the only way to go and luckily it happens to be the cheapest option.

Larry,

I would definitely go for the wok ring. I've had a steel wok for about 20 years and it came with the ring. It helps stabilize the wok and lets you walk away without it tilting over. Also, you'll want to get at least one 'shovel' a stubby spatula for woks and a chinese style spider for straining food. You'll love it.

Paul

Originally posted by LarryR:
Thanks for all the tips, I think I'll head over to China Town later today and check things out. For those of you who use these would you recommend a wok ring?

I have a heavy gauge steel one that I bought in Philly Chinatown about 25 years ago. I have a ring, but haven't used it in years. My gas top grate have enough opening in the center that it sits very stable.

Works great. Get the ring, use it as you get started to see if you actually need it or not. Be aware that since most indoor ranges don't put out enough heat (unless you have semi commercial) and that you need to break up the cooking and not load things up too quickly or you loose heat to fast and end up simmering/braising instead of stir frying
icon_smile.gif

I feel eliminating the ring might have helped me keep the temps up a little higher, but never actually measured. You have no choice though if the wok isn't stable without it though.

Of late I have been considering a cast iron wok since it would have more ballast and hold heat a bit better than the steel version. But so used to the steel one, it's like an old friend.

I really like the weber wok since you can really get the heat you need with the performer, sometimes too much until you get used to how much charcoal to use.

now grasshopper you must master wok hei.

seriously, we eat at a local chinese/vietnamese place and I swear I taste the wok when I eat their lo mien. I can't do it at home but I suffer with and electric hob
icon_frown.gif

update: just found this informative link on wok cooking.

Good choice Larry. I would only caution about the handles, as they will get hot. I have one almost identical to this: handled wok The wooden handles are a nice feature which allow me to handle the wok without an oven mitt.

Larry,

Good purchase. I love cooking on my indoor wok (I actualy have two 16 inch woks). I find the wok great for searing and cooking tuna. The high sides keep down some of the grease splatter. Try some sashimi grade tuna steaks rubbed with a mixture of crushed fennel seeds and mustard seeds (roasted first) and sear the steaks in the wok with a bit of EVOO... very easy and delicious.

Ray

Originally posted by j biesinger:
now grasshopper you must master wok hei.

seriously, we eat at a local chinese/vietnamese place and I swear I taste the wok when I eat their lo mien. I can't do it at home but I suffer with and electric hob
icon_frown.gif

update: just found this informative link on wok cooking.
I was going to provide a link about chao vs. bao stir fry but you've got it all covered

Back