Bacon insipired by TVWB

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
After reading a few posts here about making bacon, I finally found a supplier for fresh bellies, mixed up a dry cure, and went to town. If it tastes nearly as good as it looks (test strips are in the pan), then this is going to be something that gets a lot of play around here.

Thanks for inspiring me!

Rich

Just out of the cure

Just out of the smoke

John-

If you get on I-5 now, and press your luck with the CHP, you MIGHT get here before it's all gone!
icon_smile.gif

The taster strips are gone....very good, though a bit on the salty side, but the flavor was quite good. After this is gone, will tweak a bit and try again.
icon_smile.gif

Rich

Bill-

I was inspired by this post by Phil R two years ago, but used another recipe off the net that I have currently misplaced. I asked for, and received, Charcuterie by Ruhlman for Xmas, and have already done one read through (my wife is currently very concerned about mumblings relating to curing chambers, fermenting sausages, etc....) I think that the recipe I had used a higher ratio of salt to pink salt than Ruhlman, and I also believe I erred on the side of too long in the cure rather than too little. This 5 lb slab went Sat to Sat in the cure before I pulled it, rinsed, and set to dry. I will be more vigilant about checking firmness, etc on future attempts to try to get the timing just right.

On the smoking end of things, this little guy saw a little more than three hours in hickory smoke at an average of about 190 degrees.

A totally edible first attempt that only makes me want to try again!
icon_smile.gif

Got a favorite recipe you use?

R

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich G:

R </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not yet. I'm just getting started myself. I think I've read most of the bacon threads here at least once. Here's a thread that Jeff, here in Buffalo, started where I chronicled my 1st run at bacon.

Bill

Ah, yes, I read that thread cover to cover as well! You and Jeff seem to have had similar salty results to mine, did you ever try the brine cure? Did you notice a difference?

R

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich G:
Bill-

I was inspired by this post by Phil R two years ago, but used another recipe off the net that I have currently misplaced. I asked for, and received, Charcuterie by Ruhlman for Xmas, and have already done one read through (my wife is currently very concerned about mumblings relating to curing chambers, fermenting sausages, etc....) I think that the recipe I had used a higher ratio of salt to pink salt than Ruhlman, and I also believe I erred on the side of too long in the cure rather than too little. This 5 lb slab went Sat to Sat in the cure before I pulled it, rinsed, and set to dry. I will be more vigilant about checking firmness, etc on future attempts to try to get the timing just right.

On the smoking end of things, this little guy saw a little more than three hours in hickory smoke at an average of about 190 degrees.

A totally edible first attempt that only makes me want to try again!
icon_smile.gif

R </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have 15 lbs. of fresh side in my freezer right now. I'm waiting on some Sugar Maple wood from a friend down in Virgina. I've collected all the other ingredients though. I do have a TON of Maple Sugar - 5 lbs! It's also the powder/granule mixture, which I think will offer greater absorption than regular granular. Of course I have no idea if that's true or not, but it makes sense. I heard that Sugar Maple Wood actual turns the pork fat into candy....

If anyone wants Maple Sugar let me know, I have heaps! Going to FoodSaver it into 1/2 lb. "bricks".

I also found this on amazon.com - seems to be the cheapest especially if you do the Subscribe & Save option. You can cancel immediately after it ships. Maple Sugar - Link is already through the TVWB so Chris will get credit.

David Verba: How much are you asking for a pound of maple sugar. Right now I can get it from a "formal" supplier for $9/lb.

As to bacon, I allow my slabs to set in the fridge for one whole week post-smoke to allow the flavor to mellow a bit. Otherwise for me, frying it right out of the smoker gives the product a bitter flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
David Verba: How much are you asking for a pound of maple sugar. Right now I can get it from a "formal" supplier for $9/lb.

As to bacon, I allow my slabs to set in the fridge for one whole week post-smoke to allow the flavor to mellow a bit. Otherwise for me, frying it right out of the smoker gives the product a bitter flavor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, I had to up jump through hoops to get it for $10.50/lb.! Your getting a great price my friend!

If anyone has tried the brine cure recipe for belly bacon and wants to chime in with results, that would be great.

I haven't started the search for maple sugar yet, but I figure the Internet will be my friend!
icon_smile.gif
I did, however, manage to get some decent slices into a pan this am for me and the kids for breakfast....

Bacon in the pan

Rich

Dave-

Thanks! When we remodeled the house 6 years ago, I told my wife I wanted three things, and she could do whatever she wanted in the rest of the house. The kitchen was mine!! The range is a six burner Dynasty (now Jade Range), and I love it. Lots of power, plenty of space, and I've got a pretty big dual fan hood over it, too. It doesn't have some of the bells/whistles that you get with Viking/Thermador/Wolfe, but it has what I need, and was a floor model (reduced price) to boot!

Oh, and the bacon was tasty, too (double-thumbs up from my five year old.....that's the best you can get!)

Rich

Dave-

Thanks! When we remodeled the house 6 years ago, I told my wife I wanted three things, and she could do whatever she wanted in the rest of the house. The kitchen was mine!! The range is a six burner Dynasty (now Jade Range), and I love it. Lots of power, plenty of space, and I've got a pretty big dual fan hood over it, too. It doesn't have some of the bells/whistles that you get with Viking/Thermador/Wolfe, but it has what I need, and was a floor model (reduced price) to boot!

Oh, and the bacon was tasty, too (double-thumbs up from my five year old.....that's the best you can get!)

Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sweet, so what were the other two things?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I haven't but I believe Jeff has at least once. Hopefully, he'll chime in here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

am I late? I smelled bacon.

here's the recipe I followed:

bacon brine

much easier (3 days) and better results (not too salty). I just used a mix of salt/sugar/cure and it came out great. I think if I wanted to add another flavor, I'd try a rub (prior to cooking) or glaze (late in cooking) rather than adding it to the brine.

Bill, is something missing on the thread?? It was all there for me. I took the pics out and made them links instead.....maybe I overdid it (sorry Chris!)

Jeff, thanks for the brine recipe link. I'll bookmark that one and try it out next time!

R

Back