Grilled Spares

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
1 rack of untrimmed spares seasoned with salt, pepper and granulated garlic, grilled with Royal Oak lump and 2 chunks of cherry indirect around 350º for 2.5 hours, then cooked for 30 minutes over direct heat flipping often. We also had grilled green tomato that was marinated in zesty Italian dress, salt, pepper and garlic and fried okra and Sponge Bob Mac N Cheese! :shock: PDG dinner!

2009-08-15005.jpg
2009-08-15009.jpg
2009-08-15010.jpg
2009-08-15020.jpg
2009-08-15027.jpg
2009-08-15035.jpg
2009-08-15048.jpg
2009-08-15055.jpg
2009-08-15068.jpg
2009-08-15072.jpg

Oh, Man! That looks great!

Love the 6th pic...That would make a great screen saver/desktop.

Yet another great cook from you, Larry!

BTW, donated and got you rub recipes this week. They sound fantastic. I'm doing your "Orange Marmalade Siracha Wings" for lunch today. Can't wait.

What kind of knife did you cut those with?

Try as I might, I can't make my ribs cut that cleanly. Those look awesome!

Man, Larry, those ribs look great.

Are there any drawbacks to the high heat, faster cooking technique you're using? The results look amazing.

Oh, and I love the idea of grilled green tomatoes.

Originally posted by G Dechaine:

Are there any drawbacks to the high heat, faster cooking technique you're using?

From a finished product stand point, no drawbacks. But one thing you really should do is have a drip pan under the ribs. Other than that I like the grilled ribs as much or more than slow smoked. One reason is the ribs have a nice little crunch due to the charring, with moist tender meat on the inside!

Larry,I've been wanting to try grilled ribs for a while. After looking at those,I'm gonna have to give them a try. As always,your pics are great!

Another inspiring thread! I already know what I'm grilling tonight. I already had some chicken planned but man, those ribs look too good!

icon_biggrin.gif

Larry, as always, looks great. Gonna have to try some high heat spares, as I almost always do babies low and slow on the WSM.
I just got my CI grates , but haven't cooked on them yet (very soon). What's been your cleaning process for these, especially after a good cook like this one ? Thanks.
Stu

Originally posted by Stuart Osterweil:
Larry, as always, looks great. Gonna have to try some high heat spares, as I almost always do babies low and slow on the WSM.
I just got my CI grates , but haven't cooked on them yet (very soon). What's been your cleaning process for these, especially after a good cook like this one ? Thanks.
Stu

Stu, I do not clean them after the cook. I feel leaving the nasties, grease etc. will only help keep them seasoned and from rusting. Then when I'm ready to cook next time, I heat the grill up, then run a scrapper and a grill brush over the grates until clean, then oil.

Originally posted by Rich Parker:
I like the ribs but you shouldn't be teasing us with pictures of bones you licked clean.
icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Stu, I do not clean them after the cook. I feel leaving the nasties, grease etc. will only help keep them seasoned and from rusting. Then when I'm ready to cook next time, I heat the grill up, then run a scrapper and a grill brush over the grates until clean, then oil. (QUOTE)

As long as we're on the subject, how important is it in the seasoning process to get the Crisco in between all the rods? Or does the Crisco just melt all over while the grates are in the oven, and that does the trick? Mine should be here Monday.

Originally posted by Dave/G:
Stu, I do not clean them after the cook. I feel leaving the nasties, grease etc. will only help keep them seasoned and from rusting. Then when I'm ready to cook next time, I heat the grill up, then run a scrapper and a grill brush over the grates until clean, then oil. (QUOTE)

As long as we're on the subject, how important is it in the seasoning process to get the Crisco in between all the rods? Or does the Crisco just melt all over while the grates are in the oven, and that does the trick? Mine should be here Monday.

I used my fingers and schmeared it over every nook and cranny........that doesn't mean it's important or if it even helped...but that's what I did.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stuart Osterweil:
Stu

Stu, I do not clean them after the cook. I feel leaving the nasties, grease etc. will only help keep them seasoned and from rusting. Then when I'm ready to cook next time, I heat the grill up, then run a scrapper and a grill brush over the grates until clean, then oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what I do with all my grill grates, CI and other.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Larry, once again your pictures and your food looks incredible! But how will we know if it tastes as good as it looks? Suggestion- get a bunch of small boxes and mail everyone on the site a small taste.
icon_biggrin.gif
. I think a lot of people would be good with that! I'll start looking in my mailbox let's say tuesday. Give you a day to get the boxes and dry ice.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Mike F.:
Larry, once again your pictures and your food looks incredible! But how will we know if it tastes as good as it looks? But how will we know if it tastes as good as it looks? Suggestion- get a bunch of small boxes and mail everyone on the site a small taste.
icon_biggrin.gif
. I think a lot of people would be good with that! I'll start looking in my mailbox let's say tuesday. Give you a day to get the boxes and dry ice.
icon_wink.gif

My door is always open and we always have more than enough food, so drop in sometime for a sample or two!!! BRING BEER THOUGH!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back