cooking the pastrami

Steve Gomes

TVWBB Fan
I am gona smoke a pastrami according to the recipe from Chris on the board here. I don't have a cooler though. What can I do to make it come as moist and tender as possible. I will be slicing it very thin with my chef's choice slicer. It was so fun to get it ready for curing and I can't wait to try it.

Steve,

The cooler is just an insulated device to put the meat in while it rests. Cutting too soon will 'bleed' out some of the juice from the meat. You can use a number of items instead. Foil the meat well, if you only cooked a flat, then try putting it into a large ziplock bag. Then wrap in a large towel. That can then be placed in a card board box. Anything that adds insulation will help. Tenderness comes from proper cooking times. Overcooking will dry the meat out.

Paul

okay paul I was thinking some where along those lines. I tell ya, I made the bacon and it was great. thanks. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
Steve,

The cooler is just an insulated device to put the meat in while it rests. Cutting too soon will 'bleed' out some of the juice from the meat. You can use a number of items instead. Foil the meat well, if you only cooked a flat, then try putting it into a large ziplock bag. Then wrap in a large towel. That can then be placed in a card board box. Anything that adds insulation will help. Tenderness comes from proper cooking times. Overcooking will dry the meat out.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back