Briquettes in Canada - Where to buy bulk/cheap

Matt Pendyk

Hi guys,

As the post states, I'm up here in Canada paying over $1/lb for briquettes, not too happy about it. Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions where to buy cheap briquettes. Also, I have noticed that we do have some "no-name" briquettes up here selling a fair bit cheaper, but I didn't know if the quality varies between briquettes like it does for lump. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm firing my WSM up for the first time on Saturday, can't wait!

Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart carry 18lb Royal Oak Plus briqs (red bag, yellow lettering) around $8, so just under $0.50/lb. Best bang for your buck fuel I've found in Alberta.

You can try the Hosburg briqs from Canadian Tire, they smell funny but I've gotten great burn time and heat from them. Loblaws no-name were terrible.

Anyway, I've tried a bunch of cheapos and RO Plus briqs are the slam dunk winner in my book. Most of the performance of Kings, don't smell bad and a little over half the cost.

I think Costco could be your best bet for cheaper briquettes. But if you're firing it up for the first time, I'd wouldn't focus too much on the cost of the fuel just yet (rather, focus on learning how to use the smoker). My experience with briquettes so far is that you get a lot of ash, and less heat.

The other thing is, if you have leftover coals at the end of the cook, you shut all the vents and the fire goes out. You can use leftover coals on your next cook. I've noticed, however, that with leftover briquettes, although they look whole, when you pick them up they crumble. Lump, on the other hand, stays whole and is easier to re-use. So you could be saving money from that perspective.

I pay about $1/lb for maple leaf lump at Rona. If you're focused on briquettes, then I would go look at Costco. I have to think that's the cheapest source, other than some sales that may be offered by No Frills or Food Basics.

Thanks alot for your quick replies, I'll check with Canadian Tire and Costco is a great idea. I guess from research I had just taken the whole idea of lump out because its not as even as a burn and it does burn hotter. However, I'm sure with some experience I could learn to use it.

I've used Royal Oak chunk and briquettes from Walmart, but haven't seen any charcoal at Costco or HD. Like Shawn, I'm very happy with RO briquettes.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

When I last checked, Canadian Tire had a pathetic offering of small bags of RO and some off-brand (I'm guessing Chinese made) charcoal at exhorbitant prices.
icon_confused.gif

I'd love to be able to find some Maple Leaf chunk here on the West Coast so maybe I'll head over to our local Rona today to see if they have any.
icon_cool.gif

I just checked the Canadian Tire website and they have Royal Oak lump for $8.50 a bag (18lb). That's a good price. They've also got the ready light briquettes for $8/15lb bag. Also a good price. But I'm wary about those ready light briquettes. Are they impregnated with lighter fluid or something?

I might start buying that Royal Oak lump, that's a good price. I've used it before and find it pretty good.

Bruce, I checked the Rona website using a Vancouver postal code and it says they have Maple Leaf. They might have to order it in for you.

Thanks for checking out Rona. I did too with my local postal code.

Not good news!

Maple Leaf briquettes - $7.99 for only 8.8 lbs
icon_redface.gif

and ML chunk - $16.49 for 17.64 lbs
icon_frown.gif

They must be shipping it air-freight from Quebec to Ontario and BC for it to be that pricey!
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

So, with ML at $1.00/lb, I'll stick with RO, which is half the price.

I have done some research on the "ready-light" briquettes and they are in fact impregnated with lighter fluid or "flammable" substances. They actually refer to it in the new 2009 model and tell you absolutely not to use it

Bruce, that's the same price I pay for ML in Ontario. I like the stuff, but will go back to RO from Crappy Tire to compare. It's been a while since I used the stuff.

Matt, you might want to give the RO stuff a try. Or check Wal-Mart/Costco to see your options.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce McLeod:
Thanks for checking out Rona. I did too with my local postal code.

Not good news!

Maple Leaf briquettes - $7.99 for only 8.8 lbs
icon_redface.gif

and ML chunk - $16.49 for 17.64 lbs
icon_frown.gif

They must be shipping it air-freight from Quebec to Ontario and BC for it to be that pricey!
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

So, with ML at $1.00/lb, I'll stick with RO, which is half the price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Those briqs are all natural ... only charred wood and wheat paste. No added mineral coal, borax etc ... no gritty ash just fluffy ash. I'd buy it at that price before Kings briqs.

That's also a good price for ML Lump for my neck of the woods anyway ... I pay $19.99 for 8kg.

I personally don't like the Star Grilling product (made one super black turkey with it once
icon_frown.gif
), for minion method cooking, though I'd use it for grilling fully lit.

I buy Kingsford briquettes at my local Home Hardware. $11.49 for a 18 lb bag.

Canadian Tire and Walmart only carry Royal Oak lump here. Boo.

Maybe it's a seasonal thing. But that is really odd that Costco wouldn't sell it.

To Matt, i'd echo what Shawn is saying about the natural briqs. There's something to be said about a lack of chemical binders, etc.

Originally posted by G Dechaine:
I just checked the Canadian Tire website and they have Royal Oak lump for $8.50 a bag (18lb). QUOTE]

17.6lb is $14.99 (8.8lb is $8.49), had to click the drop down menu for the different size bags.

From what I remember it should be going on sale within the next couple of weeks though....

Burt
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Originally posted by Shawn W:
funny ... I've been to 5 Costcos in Alberta and none of them carry charcoal here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't found any Costco's in the Lower Mainland of BC carrying charcoal either.

Luckily, I'm 5 min from the US border, so a trip to Costco & Trader Joes in Bellingham, WA is warranted.
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

BTW, Cost Cutter market in Blaine, WA has tri-tip on sale this week - that makes the trip even more worthwhile.

Super Store here in Regina has the 18lb bag of blue kingsford on for 2 for $20.00. That is the best price I have found here, I am watching for sales now.

Burtress,

thanks for the clarification. The CT site is misleading. You see the price, see the bag (you can even zoom in and see it's 8kg) and make the association.

Anyhow, glad to see it's not that much cheaper than ML. I'll stick with ML.

Matt, since you're in Ontario you should check out Nella Cuttlery. I made a bulk purchase there with another fellow (20 bags) and we got Maple Leaf lump for $12/ 18lb bag. It's a good deal, and if you need someone to split with you let me know as I'll need more this summer for sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
Trev,
Nella is pretty close to me. Do they regularly sell Maple Leaf?

Also, do they sell hardwood chunks (not chips)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, they sell tons of Maple Leaf lump. We had to call ahead to see which outlet had the charcoal- IIRC it wasn't at all their locations when we bought it a few months ago.
I didn't see any smoke wood there at all, I don't think they sell it.
Good luck, and let me know if you need another guy for a bulk buy.

Back