Chicken Drummies!

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
This is what I did instead of going to work on Sunday. I've grown to love me some chicken drummies, they are cheap and delicious
icon_smile.gif
I have only done them a handful of times so I'm still experimenting but they turned out really well. I used McCormics Grill Mates Marinade dry mix (the kind you mix with oil/water), the <STRIKE>southwest</STRIKE> chipotle pepper (2 packs). Threw all the drummies in a gallon zipper bag and added the marinade. They marinated for around 4 hours. When it was time to get cooking I seasoned half of them with my first batch of Wolfe Rub Bold...LOVE THE STUFF! I had the cooker preheated to around 400 degrees to try to get the skin crispy. Only had room for half of the drummies at a time indirect. They only took around 10-15 min to reach ~160 cooking indirect. Then I grabbed the tongs and threw them over the fire for just long enough to get some char on them. I have cooked a lot of Q over the last couple years but my oldest son was in heaven. I counted 6 delicious's and a couple best meat ever's
icon_biggrin.gif
Made my day to hear him rave
icon_smile.gif

IMG_7548.jpg

And here is the short and sweet slideshow, ENJOY!

Wow! They look awesome. I love drummies too...and thighs...and wings...and breasts...and livers. I love me some chicken and that is some of the best I've seen!

I also love all of Larry's rubs. I put WRB in a bloody marry (ok, 4 bloody marries) on Sunday. Phenomenal!

Outstanding looking legs. I'm a thigh and breast man myself but after looking at those I think I could be easily converted.

those mcormicks marinades are pretty good; a guy at work cooked us some drumsticks with that stuff a while back and they were delicious.

Thanks for all of the compliments guys! Just wondering if any of you have any tips on getting that skin as crispy as possible? The skin was only about half as crispy as I would have liked it to be, it wasn't slimy or inedible but I still would like it to get a little more crispy. I really like the marinade but I fear that being soaked in something wet is only going to make it harder to get good skin. Maybe I could get the fire hotter, or wipe the extra marinade off and dry the legs with paper towels before cooking....just trying to brainstorm a bit, does anyone have any ideas?

Brandon,

You're correct about the issue with moist skin; it impairs crispy skin. You could try wiping the skin off before cooking; that should help some. You could also reduce the amount of water in the mix. Or you could opt for a dry rub with the same flavor profile as the marinade. A marinade really only flavors meat, so a rub can do the same thing without the liquid. The difference being the oil in the marinade will carry the flavor deeper into the meat than stand alone rub. I'm not familiar with the Grill Mates marinades, but since it's a dry mix; see if it could be used as a stand alone rub (no oil and water). Rub the chicken, then place back in the fridge uncovered and let air dry for at least several hours. If there's salt in the mix, and there most likely is, it will draw moisture out of the meat. The air drying will help in crisping up the skin. You could let the chicken dry overnight if needed. Your temps look good, so I don't think that's an issue.

Paul

I am going to do this with wings since I dont really like dark meat. Is that the chipotle pepper mix? I dont see an actual southwest chipotle for mccormicks.

You are right Nick! There is a Southwest and a Chipotle Pepper, but no Southwest Chipotle, thanks for mentioning that, I edited the original post a bit. And yes its is the Chipotle Pepper one, enjoy its some good stuff! Make sure to report back
icon_smile.gif

Definately will do so! Im the kind of cook that gets recipes and then gets ideas and builds off of other recipes so i should be posting on here a lot. Home Depot needs to hurry up with my Genesis! Order status says routed but there is no shipping info yet.

I bought the Wolfe recipes already also!

Back