Q220 vs Q200

Craig A

TVWBB Fan
I figured this would be an FAQ but I didn't find an answer by searching.

I'm considering either a Q200 or a Q220. I like the 200 better because of the lower price. I like the 220 better because of the thermometer, but I'm sure I can add a thermo to the 200 for a few bucks.

I don't understand the purpose of the higher lid of the 220. What exactly can I cook with a 220 that I can't do on a 200?

bigger, taller chickens, roasts, etc. might wanna check craigslist for used cheaper ones. its not a problem if you don't plan on cooking tall items.

I usually grill chicken spatchcocked or in parts.

What type of roasts could I cook on a 220? I've never considered large cuts of meat on a gas grill. Usually I cook large cuts on my WSM.

This is actually a good question and I hope that i can share my experience with you on this.
I first started off with a Weber Q120 babyQ and I went with the 120 over the 100 because it had the little side tables on it. I grilled on that little thing about 6 days per week average over 3 years and never let me down.The Q120 didn't have a temp guage in it either but i wasn't too worried about that untill the newer ones came out in the Q220 and it was a bit bigger which i thought would be handy and it is, however,I don't beleive that the temp guage and the higher lid is that valuable unless you'll be cooking lots of roast type large cuts of meat which i usually do on my Performer Kettle and only do large cuts on my days off.
The 200 has the little tables as standard so unless you really need the slightly higher lid,i would go with the Q200 rather than the extra cost 220.
The only time i was thankful for the higher lid was when i elevated a metal pizza tray on my upside down weber vegie tray to get it high in the lid for even cooking on a pizza experiement but that was only once.(pizza turned out nice but wasn't using dough but lebanese bread slices as the base)
The temp guage in my opinion is only useful during the preheat stage but doesn't seem to always represent what's happenning inside the grill.I just cook on it as if it was the 120 i had and not take too much notice of the temp guage.The 200 will do everything the 220 will do as far as I'm concerned if you are only doing steaks and small cuts on it.

Cheers

Davo

A couple years back, I was planing to buy a 220, but bought a 200 off Ebay by mistake. I grumbled for a time, but the 200 does everything I need and I can't really think of a time the thermo would have been functional to the cook.

I cart my grill around all the time to big trips, so space in my van is at a premium. I'm not sure how much higher the lid is on the 220, but that could be an issue.I'd guess the weight difference is minimal...

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sears had the q200 on sale tonight for a pretty good price. I picked one up and I'm looking forward to breaking it in soon.

Back