Filet on a WSM 18"

Robert J.M.

So I want to cook a couple of big ole Angus Filet Mignon's for my wife on our anniversary to have with a saved-just-for-the-occasion expensive Cab. I've always been afraid I'd just screw up $40 worth of meat and personally I like ribeye or strip but hey, it's a day for rewarding her for marrying a bum like me. I think I want to do it on the WSM with a very light apple wood smoke and light, not hot at all rub. I could use the Genesis but I think I can do a waterless high heat cook in the WSM better without worrying about flaming. I've got the maverick and thermapen to cook it a perfect medium like she likes. I'm asking for a few tips for the grilling and a nice little rub so I don't mess up and ruin my chances for "later".

I've never tried it on a WSM, but I'm a fan of the reverse sear. Use your WSM with light smoke and low temp to get it within 10-15F of your target temp, then blast it on the highest heat your Genesis can muster. I've done a really long Sous Vide filet with a sear at the end and that baby didn't need a knife, so don't be afraid of low and slow. It's so much easier to hit the right temp that way.

Back