Suggestions for tailgate menu for Chargers playoffs

ariel b

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi
My beloved SD Chargers made the playoffs and I wanted to see if I can gather some suggestions from you guys here. The only criteria is it can't take too long to cook since our tailgate window is only 5 hours. Sucks huh?

I was thinking of Tri tip, drumbettes/chicken wings for the grill. That would be in addition to the usual burger/hot dog thing.

I wanted to some cedar plank salmons but I don't know if that's a real good idea.

Thanks for all your help!

I guess it depends on who you are cooking for / how big of a group?

If it's small, and a once-in-a-lifetime thing for you to go to the game - there are two schools of thought:
#1 - you want to maximize your enjoyment of the game, and time with your friends. In this case, I would keep it simple, but high-quality.
#2 - you want to "pull-out all the stops". In this case, the cedar-planked salmon and somewhat high-brow cooking may be in order (at least some of it)

Either way, I would pre-fab as much of the stuff as I could. You may even want to keep separate hot and cold coolers, if you do some pre-cooking at home.

#1 - I would look at:
A. Some of Larry Wolfe's Sriracha Wings. You could pre-cook them and the sauce ahead of time, then sauce 'em & carmelize 'em on the fire as an appetizer.
B. Some sausage, cheese, & crackers
C. Good, big burgers - go out of your way to provide top-notch rolls and pre-prep the fixin's
D. Beverages - the usual, good beer, wine coolers, & pop

#2 - I am not the right one to put together a full-menu, but here are some suggestions.
A. Get / borrow a power-inverter or small generator, so that you can make blended drinks.
(Fresh Strawberry Daiquiris come to mind.)
B. Pick out a good wine to compliment whatever you serve for the main course
C. Grilled shrimp are always a hit - skewered or otherwise, with a creative salsa / tapenade
D. More careful preparation will be needed. If you're going to pull this off, you don't want to end-up looking like an idiot. Plan your menu, then pre-prep and mark everything that you can. I would even go so far as to stack stuff in the coolers in order - so that the stuff you need first is ON TOP!

Hope this gets the creative juices flowing
icon_smile.gif

You can do a whole mess of ribs in 5 hours..yummy, simple, and a real crowd plsr
icon_smile.gif
... if you're gonna take R2D2 along thats what I'd do, 'cause you can party too, while they're cookin
icon_wink.gif
On the other hand, chicken wings on the Q200 would work real nice too....the food would come off in a couple of seperate waves...i.e. drink a little; eat a little; drink a lot; eat a little
icon_biggrin.gif
..carrots, celery, chips, blue cheese..all staged prior..easy-peasy
icon_biggrin.gif
Feelin ambitious..do both
icon_razz.gif

As Ron said...who are you cooking for; size of the group and one more thing, where are you doing it? Here in Seattle my son has a group of season ticket holders that get together every game; rain,shine or freezing weather. There are about 30 in the core group but at any given game it may swell to over 75 or more. The best thing however is that over the years they have arranged to use (for a fee) the parking lot of a small manufacturing firm across a side street from the stadium. This street is closed to vehicles but fans use it as access to the game. It is "semi-private" but open.
As for food we have roasted a whole hog (120 lb dressed) twice! They took up a collection beforehand to buy the hog. As for the other food everybody brings something. There are usually several "Kettles" and one 2'x5' Belson charcoal grill to cook on or heat the food. In addition several propane burners are available.
Everything from ABTs, cut-up chicken, ribs, tri-tip, kalbi, steaks, hamburgers and hotdogs etc., is served! A table 18 feet long is set up for the food and on it is a "donation" jar to pay for paper plates, napkins and disposable silverware. They have a great set-up.

joe

Thanks for the input everyone.

Joe, I like your idea about a donation jar. I just think my wife would get mad if I did such a thing
icon_smile.gif

Anyhow, I'm debating on bringing my performer or the WSM. I know someone usually brings an 18" kettle and I normally bring the Q200 but am thinking this time around it will be between the Performer or the WSM.

The crowd is about 20-30 people that we have been tailgating with for the past 5 years or so with. I would really like to do ribs since I could do about 6 racks (3 on top and 3 on middle ) but just think I would stress out on getting them out on time for everyone to eat before kick off. I was considering smoking them before hand and then finish them off on the grill with some sauce in addition to a few other things we would be bringing. I'm going to look into ABT's. I haven't been on this forum a lot lately and forgot what those were
icon_smile.gif

Grill some shrimp, throw some flour tortillas on for some grill marks, have your guests assemble their own grilled shrimp tacos.
Give them guacamole, salsa, sour cream etc.. to choose from.
Always a hit at our annual Yankee opening day tailgate!

The year the Ravens won the SB, we had a home wildcard playoff game with Denver.

It was only 18 degrees when we arrived to tailgate at about 8am.

We started with oysters on the half-shell.......they were half frozen, we had to drop them in boiling water for a few seconds in order to get them apart for shucking.

We grilled t-bones on a mini-weber and steamed shrimp for the rest of the morning.

There were also a few beers and a couple of cigars involved as well.

Enjoy it......playoff tailgates are in deed a special thing!!!

Ariel... the jar is basically for those who "freeload" and don't bring anything and for those who "happen" to walk by and are invited to join in.

Do the ribs beforehand and reheat at the tailgate in the WSM. The ABTs can be asseembled beforehand also and grilled on site. Chicken halves and quarters take about 45 minutes and parts less. Tri-tips and also boneless country style pork ribs are good to slice after grilling. You can tell people they can bring food to cook on the grills.

My son and/or I oversee the entire event and we have designated people to handle grilling and setting up the buffet table.

Good luck...

joe

Do ribs, Pulled Beef, pulled Chicken. You can make it in advance and reheat in aluminum chafing pans. Rolls could be for both beef/pork.

Ariel,

Back ribs can be ready in 3 hours at high temps, there's no need to pre-cook them.

I like Michele's taco/fajita idea. Add chicken and beef too, although the shrimp always go first.

Jim

Larry's sriacha wings are a must and the sauce also goes really well with moink balls. Pollo asada and carne asada grill up real quick.
I haven't made cedar plank salmon on the Weber yet only the gasser and it is great and doesn't take much time at all. I used Sam the cooking guys recipe and also added some grated ginger.

http://www.thecookingguy.com/c...ok/recipe.php?id=161

So many decisions! I'm gonna thumb through the ads tonight too and check to see what is on sale. I think for sure I will add Tri tip since it's only $1.99 per lb right now. I may even try to make some ABT's. Does it matter if I use my smoker or my Performer?

Philip Rivers Ford Taurus Burger. He drove one for the entire time he was at NCST. It was a gnarley grey stationwagon he probably inherited from Steve,(his Dad).
Make a big Burger, and honor your awesome QB, he deserves it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ariel b:
I may even try to make some ABT's. Does it matter if I use my smoker or my Performer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't matter. I made two dozen on New Years Eve for a party at a friends house on the kettle, indirect, following Larry's recipe. Best I've ever made. I didn't have any leftover pulled pork so I used Lil' Smokies. Prepped everything the night before so there was nothing to be done at the party...just put them on and crack a beer.

I also like Michele's taco/fajita idea...Even though she's a Yankee fan.
icon_razz.gif

Ariel - I find baby backs to be plenty tender when cooked at high temps, even grill temps. They aren't 'fall off the bone' tender, but I don't care for ribs that way.

jrp

Back