Dried Mango Marinade?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I have a bag of dried mango I bought at Trader Joes last year. Could I add water to reconstitute it and make a marinade for chicken? Would the flavor work with chicken? What other flavors should I put in it? Any ideas would be welcome.

I also have some cilantro and some left over limes. Any ideas of a marinade using that?

I would think lime and cilantro would both pair well with mango. fresh ginger, jalapenos, green onions works well with mango too.

I would think you might be better off heating them in a sauce pan with some water and trying to achieve more of a sauce/glaze. If they soften that way, you could puree it in a blender to make the sauce/glaze.

good luck.

Those combinations sound good. I really like the ginger and I have a jar of pickled jalapenos that I can use. I didn't think about a sauce or glaze but now that you mention it maybe I'll go that route.

Raisin.

Dried mangos do do better heated in liquid. If you are making a sauce or glaze then whatever liquid you are using is sufficient. (I use them in chili and they reconstitute fine in the pot.) Once soft they wil purée well.

Per your other request, you could use the Irish whiskey you mentioned in a sauce that includes dried mango. Flame it after sautéing your aromatics, letting it reduce, then add your liquids, chilies (if using), tomato (if using), seasonings, mango, etc.

One of the happiest combinations (IMO) is that of mango and habanero chiles. Try this:

1 T peanut oil (vegetable oil is fine)
½ c diced onion (avoid any SUPERsweets)
1 habanero pepper, diced (seeds and ribs optional; you can use Scotch bonnet, or whatever other chile you like, but habanero makes for a glorious match)
2 t garlic, mashed to a pulp
1½ c diced dried mango
¼ c fresh lime juice
½ c rice vinegar (plain white vinegar will do if you absolutely must)
2 T light brown sugar
½ t grated ginger
½ t coarse salt (I like sea salt, but Kosher's fine)
¼ c fresh cilantro leaves (opt)

Place a saucepan over medium-high heat and add oil to the pan. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion and habanero and cook until the onions are translucent (figure 3 to 4 minutes). Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds. Deglaze the pan with the lime juice and vinegar, add diced dried mango and then reduce the heat to low.

Add sugar, ginger, and salt to the pan. Continue to cook the sauce until mangoes go very soft, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the sauce to cool (not go stone-cold, though) then puree in a blender, adding cilantro if desired.

This is excellent on seafood, and on anything with a Caribbean or "Nuevo Latino" thing going on. You can also add, say, the grated zest of the lime, or cracked white pepper, etc. Play w. it.

-Joe

Back